Aug 4, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
George Karl has more important things to worry about than the Denver Nuggets front office situation. The man just returned to eating solid foods and he wants to have his cancer far enough in the rearview mirror that he can be on the Nuggets bench when the season starts.
But when contacted by the Denver Post to talk about the changes, Karl said all the right things. With a tinge of regret.
“I have a lot of love and friendship with (former vice pesident of basketball operations) Mark (Warkentien). Over the last few years, we pulled off some incredible personnel moves, Mark and I work very well as a team, but I also respect Stan (Kroenke) and the organization. … I respect his decision and I respect that we will move hopefully in a direction that will somehow, someway, be better. But Mark, to me, is a very, very first-class personnel guy.”
“As a coach, there’s always frustrating moments with personnel. Always moments that we disagree. But Mark and I, in the last 20 years, worked together probably 10 of those years. We can fight with each other, hang up on each other, and we still work together. That’s an asset. In the same sense, Stan is very capable and interesting and kind of eccentric owner in a lot of ways.
Karl added he expects to have input on the new hire.
Warkentien, the 2009 NBA executive of the year, will likely have suitors coming to him, as well. That could include the New York Knicks, according to Marc Berman in the New York Post.
Nuggets GM Mark Warkentien was let go yesterday by Denver and will be strong Knicks’ GM candidate if Walsh decides to make a hire. The Post reported recently the well-respected Warkentien, a friend of Walsh’s, had a preliminary interview with the Knicks last summer after being given permission by the Nuggets owner.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18