Aug 4, 2010, 11:34 AM EST
Can you win a world title in international ball without a quality center?
We’re about to find out. Team USA is going into the World Championships in Turkey next month without Brook Lopez — the best center on Team USA by a long shot. Lopez has pulled out of the FIBA World Championships in Turkey next month, according to Associated Press reporter Brian Mahoney.
Washington’s JaVale McGee will take his place on the roster.
Lopez has been battling a case of mono and tried to play through it at the Team USA camp in Vegas. He looked slow and tired, but because of what he can be Mike Krzyzewski put him on the final 15 roster for New York.
Without Lopez, your front line for Team USA will feature Tyson Chandler starting at the five with the athletic but not always focused McGee behind him. Team USA also lost Amare Stoudemire to insurance issues and David Lee to a finger injury, making the fours on the roster Kevin Love (well suited for international play), Jeff Green and Lamar Odom.
Team USA is not going to be dominating inside. Which is a really big understatement, frankly, I’m just trying to be a positive American. The USA could be in a lot of trouble against bigger teams. Spain will have Marc Gasol and a very good team around him. Brazil can throw a front line of Nene, Anderson Varejao and Tiago Splitter. How is the USA going to stop that?
Team USA has the best athletes overall, there is great talent on the roster. Kevin Durant will destroy people. But unless Chandler, McGee and some of the forwards really step up, the team’s lack of size and quality inside play may come back to bite them.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5