Aug 3, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
You wanted to be big time, you wanted the spotlight Miami. Well you got it. And everything that comes with it.
Like a tough first week. First you get the Boston Celtics in Boston. Three nights later you get to host the Orlando Magic. The last two Eastern Conference champions in your first two games. Two teams with the size at center to attack your on-paper weakness.
It’s a big break for Boston and Orlando. There will be no easy games against these Heat, but you want to catch them before they really gel. This team is built to win a lot of regular season games (and playoff games) but there will be some adjustment period with an entire new roster. They will be good at the start, but two more established teams that know themselves will have an advantage in October they would not by January.
To be fair, Orlando is not very happy with this schedule either. They open their new Amway Center against Washington on Oct. 28 then one night later get Miami on the second night of a back-to-back. A rested Miami.
I know what Stan Van Gundy said when he saw that schedule. I can’t print it, but I know it.
The other games we know about the Heat: Christmas Day they are in Los Angeles to face the Lakers. Earlier in the month, Dec. 2, LeBron James makes his first return to Cleveland in what will be a highly charged, highly anticipated game.
But first the Heat have to get through a difficult first week. It’s the price of being on the marquee.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 0
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)