Aug 3, 2010, 1:44 AM EDT
Mike D’Antoni has been an assistant coach with Team USA for years. Remember how that was going to help his recruiting top players to New York…
Well, there will be no more recruiting this summer.
Mike D’Antoni will not be accompanying team USA to Turkey because of back problems, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that D’Antoni is not expected to need surgery but has been advised to forsake the considerable international travel Team USA has scheduled this summer. D’Antoni will undergo treatment and rehabilitation to prevent the condition from worsening before the start of NBA training camp in late September.
D’Antoni, sources said, will be with Team USA throughout its next round of practices next week in New York — which will be capped by an Aug. 15 exhibition against France at Madison Square Garden — but then stay behind when the Kevin Durant-led squad heads to Europe for exhibitions in Spain and Greece before the World Championships begin Aug. 28.
This back problem has been an ongoing for D’Antoni, and something he wants to clear up before the rigors of travel that come with an NBA season.
Toronto Raptors coach Jay Triano is expected to take D’Antoni’s place. He is already on the Team USA staff.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8