Lorenzen Wright murder investigation appears to center around ex-wife

Aug 3, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT

lwright2.jpgMemphis police aren’t talking — usually a sign they have some solid leads and information — but their actions suggest they are focusing on former NBA player Lorenzen Wright’s ex-wife in the investigation of his murder.

Sunday police combed through the home of Sherra Wright, who was apparently the last person to seem him alive and unharmed. Now Wright’s former personal assistant Wendy Wilson told the local ABC affiliate in Memphis she has audio recordings of Sherra threatening Lorenzen (via FanHouse).

“I have the evidence that she said these things and she knows it,” Wilson told myeyewtinessnews.com, Memphis’ ABC affiliate.

Wilson went on to say Sherra said “things like, if she caught him with anyone else, she’d have him ‘f’d up’ or whatever.”

Sherra Wright’s attorney says that the police looking through the home was just a normal part of an investigation, something he told the same affiliate.

“I just assume it’s part of the routine investigation,” said (Coleman) Garrett. “They’re looking for clues, they’re looking for evidence. They’re trying to find answers, and that would be one of the logical things to do, to search any premises where Lorenzen was last known to be.”

Also, despite rumors to the contrary in Memphis, Wright has not been arrested.

“No, she’s never been in police custody, and I don’t know where all these rumors come from,” said Garrett. “And that’s why we don’t intend to add to them with her speaking on camera or present, what have you, because it’s just going to exacerbate a bad situation, and people are going to have their opinions and misconstrue what is said.”

Lorenzen Wright had been at his ex-wife’s house on July 18 visiting his children. Several hours later a brief 911 call came from Wright’s cell phone to a Germantown, Tenn., dispatcher and gunshots were heard. On July 22, Wright’s family filed a missing person’s report. On July 28 police found Wright’s body, shot multiple times, in the area where the 911 call had come from. The delay in using that call is also being investigated, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Wright had been a star at the University of Memphis and had gone on to a 13-year NBA career.

1. Barry Burls - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

2. YOUR MOM - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

December 21,2012

3. Greg - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

At the buzzer?

4. Yogi - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM

When it’s over.

5. dbmack1 - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I am not trying to start a war but here is what you said
    “Another young Black man loses his life in the world of violence and sports. When will it all end?”
    I see it as
    “Another young man loses his life in the world of violence and sports. When will it all end?
    it would be a shame no matter the color of the skin. it is a sad sad story, a waste of a life

6. Yogi - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

When it’s over.

7. Wesley Gillespie - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

You dont know what ur sayin.

8. Anonymous - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Sounds to me like this young man married the wrong woman.
    I don’t see jealousy as the determining factor; it usually comes down to money. The woman probably wanted more alimony and Lorenzen just didn’t have it to give.
    Then, she probably figured she could get money from his life insurance policy, which most NBA teams avail to their players for life. That would keep her in the style she had become accustomed to. Poor black woman marrying for money and then scheming how to get it all.
    I’d continue to look into her past and to some of her relatives who would prosper most by Lorenzen’s death.

9. SoCalWarrior - Aug 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM

“Poor black woman marrying for money and then scheming how to get it all.”
    Oh, no WHITE women ever marry for money. Love all the underlying racism on this site.

10. leeedii - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I met Lorenzen Wright ar church in the Atlanra areaabt 6 mos ago. I had no idea who he was and had no recall of his name since I dont follow pro or college sports all that closely. I looked him up on line eventually and realized just who I had been speaking to. I was completely taken back by how humble and good natured he had seemed.
    I saw him in church the next time and thought I should just leave him be people are probably always trying to get a minute from him. To my surprise he came up and greeted me basicly a stranger with a heart felt hand shake and greeting. It touched me that someone of his stature would remember or take the time. (This wasnt a small church) It made me feel good abt him and honestly myself. I am now deeply saddened over the tragic loss of a special person with special gifts on and off the court.
    I know in my heart that justice will in time be served and that the truth will be made known. I hope that people will be patient and respect the hearts and minds of his children b4 speculateing or makeing unfounded comments that will not make such a painful loss any easier for them,his family, and those closest to him.

11. glen neveaux - Aug 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

It soooooooooooo points to the ex-wife and any possible life-insurance policy that she would be a beneficiary of. I mean, Mr. Wright played in the NBA for roughly 14 years, and after his body was found, there were reports of the “family” seeking to establish a “fund” for his children. If you play in the NBA for 14 years, even if you were an average player, your children should not be entitled to a “sympathy” fund. It’s sad all the way around, but, bottom line, if you’re someone who makes a significant amount of money in your career, don’t “ever” get married. They (the “innocent” and “helpless” women will such you dry). The same goes for a rich woman who marries a poorer man. You’re setting yourself up, in spades.

12. rick - Aug 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I’ve lived in the area for 14 years now, and the Wright murder is not something that I think I’m proud of. I think whom ever killed this young man has put Memphis on the wrong map. When I was a little boy I thought of Memphis as famous because of Elvis. If I were a kid now I would think of Memphis based on this sad insodent, not good. I wish we could let Lorenzen rest in peace.

13. Emmarilla77 - Aug 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I am saddened to read all these hearsay stories about this tragic murder. It is disgraceful that race and sex is being discussed so freely without establishing the facts or taking into account events to date. It is also pathetic that people cannot put their prejudices aside and just mourn a man who was highly regarded and adored his children.
    May he rest in peace and the scumbags bought to justice without delay.
    Also to the illiterate writers you should have stayed in school and improved your spelling and grammar –shame on you!

14. JANICE - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I HAD A BROTHER TOO, THAT HAD A BIG HEART AND TRYED TO DO RIGHT BY EVERYONE, HE WAS NEVER MARRIED AND HAD SAID THAT HE WOULD NEVER LIVE WITH A WOMAN…HE SOON MET A WOMAN THAT HE FELT THAT HE COULD GIVE HIS HEART TO,HE MOVED HER IN WITH HIM AND I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER, BUT I CANNOT, SHE HAD 2 CHILDREN AND THERE FATHERS STARTED COMING AROUND, STARTING THINGS WITH MY BROTHER…MIND YOU SHE HAD NOTHING BEFORE SHE MET MY BROTHER..HE GIVE HER A LOT THINGS…MY BROTHER OWED HIS OWN BUSINESS AND EVERY FRIDAY HE WOULD HAVE THE RECEIPTS ON HIM..ONE NIGHT HE HAD WENT OUT FOR DRINKS WITH FRIENDS AND SHE CALLED HIM HOME..NEXT THING I KNOW MY BROTHER WAS LYING IN A POOL OF BLOOD IN HIS OWN KITCHEN, SHE CLAIMED JUST LIKE THIS WOMAN THAT SOME DRUG PEOPLE HAD CAME INTO THE HOUSE AND SHOT HIM…MY BOTHER DID NOT SELL DRUGS, THEY EVEN DROPED CRACK ON HIS BODY TO STAGE IT..COME TO FIND HER COUSIN HAD DONE IT..BECAUSE SHE HAD RAN HER MOUTH TO MUCH ABOUT HIS MONEY…SO THE POLICE NEED TO KEEP UP WITH HIS WIFE SHE IS HIDING SOMETHING…

15. Trena Murphy - Aug 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Look I use to be the jailhouse investigator, jailhouse lawyer and the jailhouse judge….I wanted to be csi excuse me (jhsi) Jailhouse scene investigator, unfortunately I had taken on too much. Now by the look of his wife on the interview in which she so weakly tried to appeal to the people about her husband being missing, at such time her mouth was twitching which is sure sign of a strong crack user…Now this woman seems to me as someone who has something to hide. And as a lawyer I would recommend that she don’t speak to the Memphis police without a lawyer, especially if Mrs. Mason is the investigator doing the interrogation, she’ll eat the woman alive, she wouldn’t stand a chance. Her best bet is to just confess make a deal with the DA and turn in the actuall shooter..

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches