Aug 2, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
Sherra Wright, the ex-wife of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright, says she was the last person to see him alive.
She told police he left her house the night of July 18 just fine, but Wright’s mother reported him missing four days later. On July 28, the murdered body of Wright was found outside Memphis.
Sunday, police scoured the home of Wright for several hours looking for clues, according to WPTY of Memphis. Despite Internet rumors to the contrary, Wright was not arrested, according to WREG television in Memphis.
Police still went over her house with a fine-toothed comb, particularly looking at a fire pit in the back yard, which had been used the night of the murder. Something that neighbors said was odd because it was one of the hottest nights of the year, according to reports.
While that investigation continues, so does outrage over the handling of the 911 call from Wright’s cell-phone the night of the murder, according to the Commercial Appeal. The call had a man uttering an expletive and gunshots can be heard according to the report, however no police were sent out to investigate what happened. The call went to Germantown Police, who have now turned the tape of the call over to the Memphis Police Department. Germantown police are investigating the handling of the call.
Wright stared at the University of Memphis and was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing center (and some power forward) with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 2
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10