Aug 2, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
Sherra Wright, the ex-wife of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright, says she was the last person to see him alive.
She told police he left her house the night of July 18 just fine, but Wright’s mother reported him missing four days later. On July 28, the murdered body of Wright was found outside Memphis.
Sunday, police scoured the home of Wright for several hours looking for clues, according to WPTY of Memphis. Despite Internet rumors to the contrary, Wright was not arrested, according to WREG television in Memphis.
Police still went over her house with a fine-toothed comb, particularly looking at a fire pit in the back yard, which had been used the night of the murder. Something that neighbors said was odd because it was one of the hottest nights of the year, according to reports.
While that investigation continues, so does outrage over the handling of the 911 call from Wright’s cell-phone the night of the murder, according to the Commercial Appeal. The call had a man uttering an expletive and gunshots can be heard according to the report, however no police were sent out to investigate what happened. The call went to Germantown Police, who have now turned the tape of the call over to the Memphis Police Department. Germantown police are investigating the handling of the call.
Wright stared at the University of Memphis and was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing center (and some power forward) with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5