Aug 2, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
We’re three full seasons into Greg Oden’s NBA career, and he’s played just 82 games. It’s not fair. Not to the Blazers, who invested the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft in Oden, not to the Blazer faithful, and certainly not to Oden himself. Every nightmare must come to an end, but Oden’s is certainly taking its sweet time to run its course.
However, as is the case with much of the off-season, there is reason to hope. From Brian T. Smith of The Columbian:
Oden said he is “positive” he will be ready for training camp for the
2010-11 season. The Blazers center has recently been working out with
Portland strength and conditioning coach Bobby Medina in Indiana. Oden
said he has lost considerable weight while going through daily
five-hour drills. He plans to lose more weight, but would not reveal
his ideal total.
Oden’s presence means a world of difference for Portland, both in terms of their on-court performance and their off-court focus. He’s already an excellent rebounder and a quality defender, but when injured, his impact on the team goes far beyond his basketball abilities. When Oden goes down (and more importantly, when Oden goes out), there is a certain mental toll taken on the team and the franchise as a whole.
Here’s to a season where that isn’t the case. Here’s to the possibility of Oden finally showing the world just how good he is when he can stay on the floor (while avoiding both fouls and excessive injuries). Here’s to the first fully healthy and productive season of Oden’s career, and all that it will mean for him and his team.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 30
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 13
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28