Tyreke Evans had a need. A need for highly illegal speed (with no regard for passing lanes).

Aug 1, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT

It always looks worse on video than it does on paper.

Tyreke Evans got tagged in May for driving 120 miles-an-hour in a non-120-miles-an-hour zone.  He was briefly arrested then released. Last week he plead guilty to reckless driving and was sentenced to probation. A slap on the wrist really. So the story went away…

Until the Sacramento Police released video of his little joyride last Friday.

The video is actually relatively scary. Seeing Evans drifting in and out of lanes across the highway at that speed with other traffic does not paint the kind of “harmless joyride” picture the report did. Additionally scary is the end of the tape which shows Evans at gunpoint by the arresting officer who was just following procedure.

Anyway, if you’re interested in such things, here’s the video.

1. Zack - Aug 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM

How does 120mph and ‘harmless joyride’ end up in the same sentence?
    It doesn’t matter, it’s just another celeberty/athlete breaking the law and getting no punishment for it.
    He’ll have to get 3 DUIs, fail to do community service, miss AA meetings, and forget to pay the fine before he spends a night in jail.

2. jj vincent - Aug 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Just another display of the “us vs them” mentality that is rampant in America today.
    If the justice system stepped up and actually applied the law to these people who have money and fame it would be a miracle.
    It is the same as all the politicians who don’t pay their taxes and say they forgot? B.S. You and I would go to prison for these things!
    The law only applies to the common people. . . it does not apply to you if you make the law or have a lot of money.

3. Jeff - Aug 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Seemed overall harmless, smooth lane changes, etc. Consider the Autobahn, where that type of driving would be more acceptable…I find the idiots cruising in the passing lanes more of a burden, than this guy. Overall, the quick pace and short-cutting turns through the residential area was more unacceptable.
    Remember, if you’re not first, you’re last.

4. Salty - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I would like to see David Stearn get some backbone and suspend him for this. He could have killed somebody.

5. Jeff1 - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Gas pedal got stuck??

6. laid off iron worker - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM

what an idiot! 2 of these morons drove past me like this the other day and almost caused a 10 car pile up! I promise u, if I get into an accident because dummies like these, and am able to get out of the car, I’m kicking somebodies ass with a tire iron. The Kings need to take some kind of action against this dummy! I always liked his on court game, but now he’s just another dummy for me to root against! These asswipes don’t think about the rest of us when they’re out there driving erratic. He’s going to kill someone and probably walk away unscathed. Reke you’re a test tube baby, lab experiment gone terribly wrong, were you a crack baby? Did a priest fondle you as a boy? There’s something terribly wrong with this lil punk. It’s not like he really did anything to earn that Benz, thanks for continuing the stereotype, idiot!

7. Sean - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Jeff, you’re an idiot.
    Just because Mr. Evens seemed in control does NOT mean the situation was ‘harmless’. Some drivers on the road don’t handle things like Mr. Evens’ rapid approach in their rear view mirror well. They might have panicked and caused an accident. And while it’s not likely, Mr. Evens’ himself could have blown a tire or something.
    There is a reason we don’t allow this kind of behavior, even if when the likelyhood of something tragic happening is very low… it’s that the CONSEQUENCES are simply too grave.
    How would Mr. Evens feel if he had caused an accident that resulted in someone’s death. It’s not like it’s never happened before.
    Mr. Evens is loaded. There are appropriate places he can go and do this sort of thing and the risk to other is eliminated. And if he screws up, only he has to deal with the mess.
    I hope the NBA (“Nothing But A%%holes”) fines and suspends him, but I’m not holding my breath. Hurting their wallet is the only language these people will listen to.

8. laid off iron worker - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM

yeah, at least 10 games. suspended license, traffic school, and community service plus he should make a donation to M.A.D.D. (the value of his hotrod benz)

9. BigRick - Aug 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Jeff,
    Which one of your three active brain cells decided to write such dribble? Because Im her to tell you one of them has malfunctioned leaving you with basic life support only.
    p.s.
    The passing lanes are not for SPEEDING, they are for passing traffic going LESS than the posted speed.
    Friggin morons.

10. Anonymous - Aug 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM

120mph in that car isn’t reckless. Its ill advised sure, illegal? Absolutely…but its not reckless. It WAS harmless. No harm came to anyone except Tyreke. Does that mean it could have been a disaster? Sure. Would he have had hell to pay if he would have killed or hurt someone? For sure. But he didn’t.
    I live in Sac – its 65 right there, most people cruise at 75+ with plenty in the 80’s…so 40 over what the rest of traffic doesn’t deserve the punishment in this case – certainly not any of the things you mentioned. I’m sure the league and the Kings organization have reminded him that as a public figure he needs to hold a higher standard, and I’m guessing he will. Or he wont – an he will pay the price. But for one isolated incident? Ticket and embarrassment is enough.
    ON the other hand, I often see fools in minivans, SUVs, POS souped up nissan’s and other ill suited speedsters blowing by people at speed all the time who are at the ragged edge of skill and control at 75mpg – much less 120 in a well maintained vehicle designed for high speed. I’ll take Tyreke at 120 in a S550 versus some dumb a$$ on the phone/texting while doing 80 with one hand on the wheel of their 2001 Suburban any day of the week.
    Finally- your comment on the tire iron…your funny. Pull your tire iron and get ready for an assault with a deadly weapon charge, if the guy your attacking doesn’t pepper spray your a$$, take it away from you and put you in the hospital or shoot your dumb a$$. Just sit in the car and call your insurance company and dont (try not to) be an idiot. Its hard to take your comments seriously when clearly you are so quickly willing to suggest poor decision making of another kind.

11. twincitysmitty - Aug 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I don’t this guy from a ham sandwich, but the NBA (nice acronym btw) needs to step up. Like Goodell did with Ben. You’re right, they need to hit him where it hurts the pocketbook.

12. butch - Aug 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

All this film footage of mr. evans speeding, what about the silver dodge challenger he was racing with? why didn’t this driver recieve the same film coverage? was that driver arrested for excessive speeding?? or was this driver given a free pass.
    it appears the police stopped the more expensive vehicle with hopes of a greater bust. seems fishy to me. both drivers should have been stopped and arrested for excessive speeding and fined accordingly.

13. Anonymous - Aug 1, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Jeff, have you ever driven on the Autobahn? I have and the flow of traffic is fast, NOT just one vehicle. Can you figure out WHY that is considered dangerous now? Idiot…
    Just another example of immature athletes who are given more money than they know what to do with, breaking the law like a pretzel stick. Athletes make wayyyy too much money and generally are uneducated, relatively speaking.

14. Fromie - Aug 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Not sure what the bigger crime is here: 120mph on a highway or the Mercedes being purple.

15. pjmjfan - Aug 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Man, you folks sure are quick to throw stones. I’m sure none of you have ever been behind the wheel of a capable (or not) vehicle and pushed it until your nerves couldn’t take it anymore or you ran out of road. It’s hard to stay out of the throttle of a fine German car. I know my S4 has seen 100+ many times. (I fully expect several “idiot” replies directed at me from all the white-as-snow sinless bunch.) Yes, Tyreke was foolish to run at that speed for so long, and he will undoubtedly pay for it just as you or I would. Some of you are upset because a few thousand bucks doesn’t have nearly the impact on his budget as it does yours. I know, I know….he’s a pro athlete….blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is he’s a young man who had a poor lapse of judgement like we all have, but, because of his fame and fortune, some expect him to pay a stiffer penalty.

16. Yes,.. - Aug 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

pjmjfan…you are a foolish speaking “idiot”, whose full throttling of his German car will end up killing someone and/or himself. These vehicles are 2500 lb missles and are not for “racing” on the highway. If you want to do that, get on a closed track and not a public roadway.
    Again, you are an “idiot.”

17. pjmjfan - Aug 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM

As our good old retired friends in AZ say, “illegal is illegal”, so I guess you have a point. Not that it helps my position, but 2500 lbs is feather weight in car terms. Sadly, a 2004-2008 S4 Sedan is chunky. I’m not sure what “missles” are, but at 2500 lbs, it truly would be a wicked fast missile. Next time I race a Bimmer up the grade from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks, I’ll be sure to keep my eyes on the sky. (yes, I’m just kidding….I don’t live in Cali anymore.)

18. ^^^^^ - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Douchb@g.

19. datdude - Aug 11, 2010 at 5:33 AM

What i can’t get over is that they had a helicopter following them for so long. So you are telling me the police have nothing better to do with their time or money than catch a speeder. There were how many people that had to follow the guy, report to the ground units, and eventually pull him over for SPEEDING. Those resources couldn’t have been better spent doing something productive like catching drug dealers or murderers? I guess Cali must not have many of them.
    For those that think what he did was horrible, 120mph is not that fast, especially since the other cars are probably going around 80mph. The difference in speed between 80 and 120 is not that big, especially in a high performance car like that Mercedes.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches