Aug 1, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
There’s nothing about being the owner of a sports team that means you have to be in the same city as your team. In fact, a vast majority of owners do not make their home near the team’s operations. And if you do, it’s still no guarantee that you’ll be successful, far from it. In fact, meddling owners can be more of a problem than distant, removed ones. But you don’t want an owner to have no real connection to the city, to be unaware or apathetic towards what goes on.
Michael Jordan has been a North Carolina resident for a long time. But since taking over majority ownership of the Charlotte Bobcats, he’s put forth the effort to show he’s committed to being involved with the team. Now he’s within reach of the team, literally.
WBTV in Charlotte reports that Jordan has targeted a penthouse apartment in downtown Charlotte within sight of Time Warner Cable arena where the Bobcats play. The place, as you would imagine, is awesome. It’s huge, luxurious, yada, yada, yada. Honestly, if you didn’t expect Michael Jordan’s umpteenth place to be awesome, you haven’t been paying attention.
But Jordan’s move closer to the arena is a good sign for Bobcats fans, or a terrible one. Where you land on that side of the coin depends on what you think of Jordan as a management type. Either way, he’s following up on his talk to be involved.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30