Jul 31, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
New Portland GM Rich Cho is settling in nicely. He’s got himself a plan, a philosophy, and even a restaurant with the kinds of options he wants!
And you can learn all about it from Jason Quick of the Oregonian!
Quick has your quintessential “Get to know your new GM who replaces your favorite GM who was regarded in a totemic God-like state so maybe you won’t completely revolt” piece about Cho, and the answers are all really positive. Quick manages to touch on the right details: doesn’t sleep, wants input from people that don’t agree with him, and values research. And oh, yeah, there’s this:
“I’m not just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,” Cho said.
Kevin Pritchard made a name for himself for being active and interested in offers, pursuing every opportunity to improve the Blazers instead of wasting time as pitches go by as so many GMs do. And that approach has made them into a playoff team, though the championship contention dreams of two years ago seem far away. Those dreams seem broken by Greg Oden’s injury, the limited potential of all the Blazers’ personnel, and the sheer amount of things that went wrong for them (Joel Przybilla re-injured his knee in the shower, for God’s sake).
But Cho has at least put forth the right message. The Blazers will not stop trying to improve. The same smart approach that has produced results in Oklahoma City, San Antonio, and Portland will still be in effect. Now we’ll just have to see if he’s as good as his contemporaries.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4