Jul 31, 2010, 8:57 AM EST
It’s one of NBA-heads’ favorite times of the year. The release of the schedule. And this year, the NBA is capitalizing on that level of interest and making it into a bit of an event.
Tuesday night, August 3rd, NBATV will host a one-hour special to announce its opening night, Christmas Day, and Martin Luther King. Jr. Day schedules.
It’s a move that touches on how the NBA is learning to harness every conceivable opportunity to market itself. The challenge, naturally, will be containing any of the games, which annually have been leaked to multiple beat writers around the globe. There’s always a staffer or management source willing to let a reporter know his fall schedule. The NBA will have its hands full trying to contain it.
In fact, NBCSports.com has acquired an advance copy of what the league is trying to schedule for opening night, though they are having some logistic problems.
7:00 EST: LA Lakers at Miami Heat
9:30 EST: Miami Heat at LA Lakers
3:00 EST: LA Lakers at Boston Celtics
5:30 EST: Boston Celtics at Miami Heat
8:00 EST: Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat vs. LA Lakers (and Orlando if they can throw them in)
Now, you may think there’s A. no way that teams can play multiple times in a day and that B. the time-space continuum prevents teams from traveling several hours instantaneously, but we live in a world where Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, and LeBron James have teamed up. Anything can happen in this zany NBA!
We’ll have details on the actual schedule release for you throughout the week.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 0
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 18
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 9
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10