Jul 30, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
The Miami Heat are a hot ticket — they have sold out of season seats and there is a 6,000 person waiting list now. Demand for tickets is through the roof. Everybody wants to see LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together. The tickets sell themselves.
So, why keep that season ticket sales staff around? The people who busted their butt for you, who were cold-calling dead leads like Jack Lemon in Glengarry Glen Ross three months ago when nobody wanted to come see you. No need to be fair to them.
As reported in the Miami Herald, the Heat have canned their entire season seat sales staff. That’s about 30 people.
Stay classy, Miami.
In a statement, the Heat confirmed the dismissals Friday afternoon, saying that with an “exhausted” inventory of season-tickets “we no longer require a season ticket sales team to sell tickets.”
Stephen Weber, vice president of sales, delivered the news to about 30 ticket sales people Friday morning, according to one of the staffers who asked not to be named because he is seeking another job in sports.
It makes sense that there isn’t the need for a season ticket sales staff, but you couldn’t find other places to use them in the organization? Couldn’t find a better way to transition them? Just a mass firing. Nice.
Micky Arison better not believe in karma.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 46
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4