Jul 30, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
The Miami Heat are a hot ticket — they have sold out of season seats and there is a 6,000 person waiting list now. Demand for tickets is through the roof. Everybody wants to see LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together. The tickets sell themselves.
So, why keep that season ticket sales staff around? The people who busted their butt for you, who were cold-calling dead leads like Jack Lemon in Glengarry Glen Ross three months ago when nobody wanted to come see you. No need to be fair to them.
As reported in the Miami Herald, the Heat have canned their entire season seat sales staff. That’s about 30 people.
Stay classy, Miami.
In a statement, the Heat confirmed the dismissals Friday afternoon, saying that with an “exhausted” inventory of season-tickets “we no longer require a season ticket sales team to sell tickets.”
Stephen Weber, vice president of sales, delivered the news to about 30 ticket sales people Friday morning, according to one of the staffers who asked not to be named because he is seeking another job in sports.
It makes sense that there isn’t the need for a season ticket sales staff, but you couldn’t find other places to use them in the organization? Couldn’t find a better way to transition them? Just a mass firing. Nice.
Micky Arison better not believe in karma.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48