Jul 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Got to love John Salley.
The first one is classic — playoff veteran and champion Salley recounting a conversation with Rony Seikaly when both were on the Heat.
(Seikaly said) “Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?” Remember, I’d been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, “What’d you say?” He goes, “The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28.”
“Uh, that’s what you do when you win a championship,” I say.
“But you only get paid from November to April. That’s taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous.”
I say: “Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It’s not about money.”
He says: “It has to be, because this is some bulls—. You guys play an extra two months.”
And I was like, holy s—. I didn’t even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.
File that under “conversations you would never have with Kobe Bryant
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54