Jul 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Got to love John Salley.
The first one is classic — playoff veteran and champion Salley recounting a conversation with Rony Seikaly when both were on the Heat.
(Seikaly said) “Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?” Remember, I’d been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, “What’d you say?” He goes, “The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28.”
“Uh, that’s what you do when you win a championship,” I say.
“But you only get paid from November to April. That’s taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous.”
I say: “Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It’s not about money.”
He says: “It has to be, because this is some bulls—. You guys play an extra two months.”
And I was like, holy s—. I didn’t even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.
File that under “conversations you would never have with Kobe Bryant
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)