Jul 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Got to love John Salley.
The first one is classic — playoff veteran and champion Salley recounting a conversation with Rony Seikaly when both were on the Heat.
(Seikaly said) “Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?” Remember, I’d been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, “What’d you say?” He goes, “The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28.”
“Uh, that’s what you do when you win a championship,” I say.
“But you only get paid from November to April. That’s taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous.”
I say: “Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It’s not about money.”
He says: “It has to be, because this is some bulls—. You guys play an extra two months.”
And I was like, holy s—. I didn’t even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.
File that under “conversations you would never have with Kobe Bryant
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 20
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16