Jul 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Got to love John Salley.
The first one is classic — playoff veteran and champion Salley recounting a conversation with Rony Seikaly when both were on the Heat.
(Seikaly said) “Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?” Remember, I’d been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, “What’d you say?” He goes, “The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28.”
“Uh, that’s what you do when you win a championship,” I say.
“But you only get paid from November to April. That’s taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous.”
I say: “Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It’s not about money.”
He says: “It has to be, because this is some bulls—. You guys play an extra two months.”
And I was like, holy s—. I didn’t even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.
File that under “conversations you would never have with Kobe Bryant
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 6
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10