Jul 30, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Got to love John Salley.
The first one is classic — playoff veteran and champion Salley recounting a conversation with Rony Seikaly when both were on the Heat.
(Seikaly said) “Hey, man, how do you play all the way into June?” Remember, I’d been with the Pistons for six seasons and made the playoffs every year. I say, “What’d you say?” He goes, “The playoffs, third round, you guys play all the way to, like, June 28.”
“Uh, that’s what you do when you win a championship,” I say.
“But you only get paid from November to April. That’s taking too much of the summer, man. This is ridiculous.”
I say: “Well, playing for a championship is about pride. It’s not about money.”
He says: “It has to be, because this is some bulls—. You guys play an extra two months.”
And I was like, holy s—. I didn’t even realize it. I was playing an extra two-and-a-half months, for free.
File that under “conversations you would never have with Kobe Bryant
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30