Jul 30, 2010, 9:34 AM EDT
The man who coached DeMarcus Cousins in high school will now help guide him into the NBA waters.
Otis Hughley has been hired as a Sacramento Kings assistant coach, according to the Associated Press. He was the head coach at LeFlore High School in Mobile, Ala., where Cousins attended before his one-year at Kentucky.
This looks like a move about keeping Cousin’s motivated and in line during the NBA season. Cousins had a fast start at Summer League but had some rough games as well — picking up 10 fouls in one contest — while he argued with referees, talked trash with other players and, at times, seemed disinterested in being coached.
Hughley has a fairly extensive coaching background, he was an assistant at college assistant at Wright State, Liberty and Southern, plus helped coach in the NBA China program and was part of the staff at Pete Newell’s “Big Man Camp.”
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39