Jul 30, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
When you sign a $100 million contract to be the centerpiece of the New York Knicks, even your summer vacations become news.
Amare Stoudemire is in — and is tweeting from — Jerusalem, where he is studying religion. And because we all love speculation, there were reports out there that Stoudemire was going to convert to Judaism and even play basketball for the Israeli national team.
Nope. Not the case. You can take the word of his agent Happy Walters who spoke to FanHouse (and also happens to be Jewish).
“He’s not Jewish, it’s all getting blown a little bit out of proportion,” said Walters. “His mother says there’s some Jewish blood on her side, but Amar’e is just a total student of history and had been planning a trip to Israel for awhile. Is it possible [that he's Jewish]? Maybe. We’re going to do some research, but I don’t know where that will go.”
Or, you can check out the tweets of Amare himself.
2 clear everything up: I’m studying history & want 2 learn about all religions. I think I might have some Hebrew Roots & i’m researching it.
Being open minded toward other cultures is beautiful. Studying your heritage is very important.”What’s a Tree w/o Roots” Le’chayim, 1love
Just a couple of thoughts. I don’t think for a second this is a calculated marketing ploy — Stoudemire is a smart man who would take a trip like this to learn — but traveling to Israel and studying Judaism doesn’t hurt him in the New York marketplace.
And no, even if he does convert and moves to Israel, he cannot play for the national team. Like in almost every international sport, once you play for the national team for one country, you are wed to that country for life. Stoudemire has played numerous times for USA basketball, including the 2004 Olympics. He can only play for the United States.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 14
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8