Jul 29, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
Golden State fans have proceeded under this premise: Any owner not named Al Davis was going to be better than Chris Cohan.
On that scale, Joe Lacob (and partner Peter Guber) qualifies. But what kind of owners will they be? Lacob, who will be the front man and was a minority owner in Boston, did a ton of television, radio and newspaper interviews around the Bay Area Wednesday. Tim Kawakami broke out some of the highlights.
* First, Lacob did a lot of the day without public relations handlers and an entourage. Always a good sign that he is his own man.
* Lacob said he plans to be very active on the basketball side.
* He is not going to spend over the luxury tax line. Note that every team that went deep in the playoffs this year was over the line, and the champion Lakers were way over the line. But he was up front about that.
* As he has before, he made it sound like Don Nelson is done.
* He thinks Stephen Curry and David Lee are the pieces to build around.
Maybe not everything people hoped for from Larry Ellison, but not bad either. Kawakami summed it up this way:
Seems fairly reasonable to expect Lacob to be a very accessible owner, fully capable of being publicly accountable for what his team does or does not do. Which, by itself, is a landslide victory over the paranoid management group that came before him.
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 0
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 2
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6