Mikhail Prokhorov sticks up for LeBron

Jul 29, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for prokhorov.jpgLeBron has plenty of people watching his back, including the editors at ESPN.com.

And Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov. Who wrote a letter to the USA Today.

The players are signed, the “Decision” is made, but the passions around this year’s extraordinary class of NBA free agents refuses to die down. What surprises me is the amount of negative commentary directed at the three top free agents (especially LeBron James) who decided to play on the same team and to create a great franchise together. Of course, any club owner dreams of having those players, including me, but all questions of how the announcements were made aside, I respect their choice, and no one has the right to judge them.

I want to say that I support LeBron, the best athlete in the NBA. He had a truly difficult choice to make. Any move he made was sure to be viewed as wrong, and to leave many unhappy fans. Basing his decision on achieving results on the basketball court shows that the sportsman won the day, not the showman or the businessman. What is wrong with that?

We are seeing the birth of a new, dynamic team with such star players, and all of us can await the new season with great anticipation. I wish them success and give them my moral support. I will be happy for us to beat the Miami Heat in the conference finals, maybe not this season, but in the very near future.

I think for most people, it was not the decision itself as much as how it was handled that was distasteful. The decision itself to go to Miami, that could turn out to be a brilliant basketball decision. We shall see.

1. Yosef - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM

HEY DID YOU ALL HEAR? LEBRON SIGNED WITH MIAMI!!!!!!!!1111!!1

2. JK - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM

He’s Russian, what does he actually know about the basketball? Go back to downing your vodka. Lebron is a puke, and every NBA fan outside of Miami sees what a self-center spoiled athlete he really is.

3. FD - Jul 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Hey JK, you aren’t Prokhorov, so what do you actually know about him? They have basketball overseas you know. Quit being ignorant with your vodka crap and realize that half the owners for any sports team don’t know crap about the sport. They delegate. Prokhorov is a self proclaimed huge NBA fan, why do you think he wanted a team so badly? He cares about the sport, and thats more than you can say for most owners.
    As for Lebron, we get it. Yes, “The Decision” was not classy at all and a horrible idea. But would we really be on his nuts this much if he silently signed, at a pay cut mind you, with the Heat? The guy wants to win and play with his friends while he’s at it. Big deal. Oh and he has an ego you say? My god, alert David Stern!! We can’t have players with big egos in the NBA!? THATS UNHEARD OF.

4. Bob - Jul 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM

listen its not lebrons fault its his decision not mines or anybody elses his juss cut him some slack if you had that opportunity i bet you do it i know i would

5. mas(puto) - Jul 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Well… you have to see it from a communist point of view

6. Peter - Jul 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Finally, some clear thinking, brains, and class…..One can see why this owner is such a sucess overseas. Any player who reads this automatically has a higher perception of him and his franchise.

7. Cordae - Jul 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Dude did you seriously just pull the race card? Last time I checked, basketball was an international sport (hence the olympics jackass) that russia is very INVOLVED in. You just made this whole nation look bad. I’m a basketball fan and willing to bet your little laptop you just posted from that I know tons more about it than you do. I’m a LeBron fan and I dont live anywhere near Florida, so dont speak for me motherf***er..

8. Cordae - Jul 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

And yea he’s not only a russian, but a russian that can buy, sell, and trade 50 of your ashy asses lol

9. Jew - Jul 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Mikhail Prokhorov is the next Joseph Stalin

10. Smoocher - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:10 AM

He knows LeBron can be a free agent again in four years, at age 29. He already has an eye on the next “Decision.”

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches