Jul 29, 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
The Miami Heat need shooters. LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are two of the very best at getting to the rim, Chris Bosh plays inside. Somebody has to space the floor besides Mike Miller.
That somebody is Eddie House.
House signed a two-year, $2.8 million deal with the Heat, with the second year being a player option, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. This is for the veteran minimum for the 32-year-old.
Pat Riley is a witch. Or warlock, I guess. Either way, he clearly has control over the forces of nature and the human mind. How else does he pull all this together?
This is a great signing for Miami, really filling a need of a floor-spacing guard off the bench. House also is a guy who has won a title, who has been through the wars, something else Miami could use in the locker room. He will make the roster as the fifth guard. Sorry Kenny Hasbrouck, you just became camp fodder.
The Bulls had been thought to be the frontrunners for House, and the Celtics were trying to bring him back as well, all for the same price. But with the money being equal, House decided to take his talents to South Beach. Where he likely will get a lot of looks and plenty of burn.
House can shoot. Very well. He hit 38 percent of his threes last year, 44 percent the year before. He has one of the quickest releases in the game as well, getting his shot off before the help can rotate out.
House is not a very good defender, he is not fast, really all he does is shoot. But that’s all Miami wants him to do.
One other interesting note at the end of Wojnarowski’s piece — the Heat are still toying with the idea of signing Tracy McGrady. Why? Good question. He can still knock down shots, but is not moving very fluidly according to reports out of his Bulls workout last week. What’s more, he brings a pretty big personality into a locker room that already has a lot of big personalities and egos. Not sure why you take that risk, but they are thinking about it.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 0
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2