Jul 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
The worst possible outcome from when Lorezen Wright went missing recently has apparently come true.
Sources confirmed with the Memphis Commercial Appeal that a body found southeast of Memphis is that of Wright. The paper has the details.
According to sources, a 9-1-1 call was made from Wright’s cell phone on
July 19. A Germantown fire dispatcher could hear the loud blasts of
several gunshots. The cellphone call ended at that point…
Wright was thought to be carrying some amount of cash when he was
last seen leaving his ex-wife’s Collierville home, fueling concerns he
may be the victim of foul play, according to a Collierville police
report released today.
He recently flew from Atlanta to Memphis to visit friends and his six
children, friends said. He was scheduled to drive back to the Atlanta
area July 19, with his six children and a friend. He was last seen at
about 2 a.m. July 19, leaving his ex-wife’s Whisperwood Drive home. His
former wife, Sherra Robinson Wright, 39, told police she doesn’t know
who he left with or what type of car they were in, according to the
missing person’s report.
The latest reports have him being shot multiple times, up to 13. Obviously, the police have their work cut out for them.
Wright stared at the University of Memphis was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing center (and some power forward) with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was a genuinely popular player with his peers and the media, one of the good guys. He had been active in charity work in the Memphis area.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39