Jul 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
The worst possible outcome from when Lorezen Wright went missing recently has apparently come true.
Sources confirmed with the Memphis Commercial Appeal that a body found southeast of Memphis is that of Wright. The paper has the details.
According to sources, a 9-1-1 call was made from Wright’s cell phone on
July 19. A Germantown fire dispatcher could hear the loud blasts of
several gunshots. The cellphone call ended at that point…
Wright was thought to be carrying some amount of cash when he was
last seen leaving his ex-wife’s Collierville home, fueling concerns he
may be the victim of foul play, according to a Collierville police
report released today.
He recently flew from Atlanta to Memphis to visit friends and his six
children, friends said. He was scheduled to drive back to the Atlanta
area July 19, with his six children and a friend. He was last seen at
about 2 a.m. July 19, leaving his ex-wife’s Whisperwood Drive home. His
former wife, Sherra Robinson Wright, 39, told police she doesn’t know
who he left with or what type of car they were in, according to the
missing person’s report.
The latest reports have him being shot multiple times, up to 13. Obviously, the police have their work cut out for them.
Wright stared at the University of Memphis was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing center (and some power forward) with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was a genuinely popular player with his peers and the media, one of the good guys. He had been active in charity work in the Memphis area.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 27
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16