Report: Lorenzen Wright found dead near Memphis

Jul 28, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for lwright.jpgThe worst possible outcome from when Lorezen Wright went missing recently has apparently come true.

Sources confirmed with the Memphis Commercial Appeal that a body found southeast of Memphis is that of Wright. The paper has the details.

According to sources, a 9-1-1 call was made from Wright’s cell phone on
July 19. A Germantown fire dispatcher could hear the loud blasts of
several gunshots. The cellphone call ended at that point…

Wright was thought to be carrying some amount of cash when he was
last seen leaving his ex-wife’s Collierville home, fueling concerns he
may be the victim of foul play, according to a Collierville police
report released today.

He recently flew from Atlanta to Memphis to visit friends and his six
children, friends said. He was scheduled to drive back to the Atlanta
area July 19, with his six children and a friend. He was last seen at
about 2 a.m. July 19, leaving his ex-wife’s Whisperwood Drive home. His
former wife, Sherra Robinson Wright, 39, told police she doesn’t know
who he left with or what type of car they were in, according to the
missing person’s report.

The latest reports have him being shot multiple times, up to 13. Obviously, the police have their work cut out for them.

Wright stared at the University of Memphis was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing center (and some power forward) with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.

He was a genuinely popular player with his peers and the media, one of the good guys. He had been active in charity work in the Memphis area.

1. Yeah Buddy - Jul 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM

R.I.P.
    so far this is the only site i’ve seen who has a story about him possibly being dead, i checked ESPN.com SI.com and still they have nothing

2. danielleRN - Jul 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

My heart goes out 2 his 6 children and love ones…may he RIP…as far as the neg. Comments ppl need attention and this is an outlet where they can be bold in their normal scary lonely lives. If we ignore them they will feel neglected and go elsewhere. Again condolensces to his family and friends!!

3. Kells - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM

My prayers go out to Renzen’s family. He will be “greatly” missed with the amazing personality he had.To the family, know that God is in control and if it was foul play, please let the suspect rot in hell!!!

4. jerone coleman - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Being a fan of the NBA I love the players some people love what you got and with that in mind,being how the world has changed so much,there is not human respect especially in these times.Players and people who got money stick with people who see you as regular people”beyond whatever skills you have” and watch your back because people now and days are money hungry and evil.

5. That guy - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Why would a drag queen have to deal with racism? Do you even know what the term ‘racism’ means?

6. jcd55555 - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

absolutely sad how we’ve become a society that would take a father from 6 children;america needs prayer as a whole….

7. david saint - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I wonder if this case will appear on The First 48 since they cover a lot of homicide cases in Memphis…
    13 shots?? Sounds personal, not a robbery..either way a tragedy. my condolences to his family and friends..
    dragqueen..people like you are a waste of good air…

8. vwheeler - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

what does a drag queen have to do with a father of 6 kids with a mom and family that love him have in common? wow God bless the family

9. AJ M - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

R.I.P. Sometimes good things happen to bad people, sometimes bad things happen to good people. Damn, life sucks.

10. mz moe - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM

The saddest thing is how during the search over the last few days, all the media could keep saying was how his financial situation was! At this point the family knows what he went through, u fools need 2 have a heart! If it was your family, u would feel differently…do your jobs, but show some heart…R.I.P.

11. JESSE - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I live in Memphis, cheered for Lorezen since his high school days. This is a horrible tradegy. This whole city will mourn. Hw was truly loved by all of the community. This is also one of the most crime ridden cities in the country. Just a senseless killing of a young man with 6 children. He will be missed.

12. Kirk - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

My condolences.
    Pardon me while I become political for one moment. IF this is a black on black crime I wonder if Jesse and Al will come running. In the Black community we focus so much on occasions of police brutality, specifically when a White officer hits or kills a Black person. The hundreds if not thousands of Black people killed by other Blacks in between these incidents seem to go unnoticed. If this murder victim was not famous would we be reading this ?

13. tabbykat - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

go to WMCTV.COM that is our local Memphis station for info. We have been getting the missing reports for a week now. He was found today. Sad.

14. peaches - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

A very sad day for Memphis and the NBA. Lorenzen Wright was a good, kind and special guy. A kid who made it and never forgot where he came from. Nothing like Penny Hardaway. The City of Memphis cry baby. A senseless killing of a young man.

15. Anonymous - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Just a thought … No one is promised tomorrow . Lorenzen probably didn’t see it coming . Was he ready for eternity ? I don’t know . I hope he took the right path .
    Picture the person who did this . Evil has consumed a person who once was a kid and had dreams of becoming a “someone ” not a gangster killer . He’ll be caught and send to prison for life for this heinous crime , but prison will be the least of his worries . Just wait for his sentence for eternity .

16. Jimsjam33 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM

The saddest thing about this murder is the fact , outside of Lorenzen Wright’s immediate family , no one cares . Stories about LeBron James and Kobe Byrant will continue to hog the news and poor Lorenzen will be forgotten in about a week .
    I remember when Lorenzen Wright and Keith Closs were running the boards for the Clippers in 1998 . Closs was the ” gangster ” and Lorenzen the good guy . My o my have times changed . I wonder if Bill Fitch , Closs , Brent Barry , Piakowski , Stoyko Vrankovic , Lamar Murray , Pooh Richardson , Issac Austin , or any of the other ’98 Clippers will be there ?

17. JENJOE - Jul 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Kirk as a African American female I agree with what you wrote. It is a shame when we kill each other it is okay, but if a white cop shots someone we get enraged. Yes there are some bad cops, but we still kill each other more than they do. If I came upon Black male with a gun I am sorry I would shot first and ask questions later. I don’t care what the color is. Murder is Murder and Dead is Dead. I have gotten in many arguments about the fact that the Black community has got to stop thinking that if we hate each other why shouldn’t everyone else hate us. Don’t get me wrong whites kill just as much! Look at all the White wives who are missing and never found. Every day there are at least 3 White wives missing. They kill their kids, wives, and in-laws. But we seem to have a hate toward each other that is sick! I think if we really knew our history we would embrace other more. It is so said. And please do no use the drug excuse. That’s almost like saying we are dumb little slaves who have to have drugs. We are better than this!

18. Jabberwocky - Jul 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Evil knows no racial bounds; people of every color, creed, religion, ethnicity kill/harm/assault for money, pleasure, etc. It’s prevalent in every group- I’m tired of hearing of people “trying to come together” as a race. Are you really this naive? Never, in a thousand years can someone accomplish a feat so great. In fact, it hasn’t happened in human existence. There have been cases in ancient history, but that was with people in relatively small numbers. RIP LW.

19. dyulyur - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM

It’s a terrible tragedy that Lorenzen Wright has passed away. You can help remember him by contributing to his memorial website at http://lorenzenwright.people2remember.com/

20. dyulyur - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM

21. memphistigergirl - Jul 29, 2010 at 7:53 PM

The first 48 is no long in Memphis. They were afraid it was making the city look bad….

22. luver of GOD - Jul 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

23. dick brockford - Jul 31, 2010 at 12:14 AM

hey man caroline mason is related to him

24. chocolate - Sep 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM