Jul 28, 2010, 11:50 PM EST
Right about now is the time of the summer when guys get “make good” contracts. Which are non-guaranteed contracts. Meaning they are invited to training camp but can be cut. Which really means camp fodder — you need more than15 guys in training camp, so you invite guys you plan to cut.
Kenny Hasbrouck — the former Sienna star that screwed up your NCAA pool a couple years ago — just got one of those contracts from the Miami Heat. But our own Ira Winderman said on twitter you shouldn’t count the guy out. He has a real chance.
Don’t discount Heat signing of Kenny Hasbrouck to a make-good contract. He is the type of combo the Heat could use as a fifth guard.
Kenny Hasbrouck works as combo, fifth guard behind shooting guards Dwyane Wade and Mike Miller and PGs Carlos Arroyo and Mario Chalmers.
There are four guards on the roster already, the Heat have four centers they want to keep. The question becomes does a forward get cut and Hasbrouck make it, or does Hasbrouck go for more size.
Even on a powerhouse like the Heat, training camp matters to a few guys.
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 16
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 44
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 22
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now 35
- Report: Michael Jordan’s wife pregnant with twin girls 8
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (46)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (42)