Jul 27, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Yes, that is Ron Artest playing with Team Zankou Chicken in a Los Angeles dodgeball league game (thank you Brothers K at the Land O’ Lakers for finding this). Don’t believe me, follow the link to his entrance.
Yes, that is Ron Artest getting eliminated by a skinny guy with a beard and a sidearm throwing motion. Watch the other videos and you’ll see that Ron Artest, while a very good basketball player who came up huge in Game 7 for the Lakers, is not built for dodge ball. He drops more balls than Roy Williams and his arm couldn’t get him a second base tryout for the Dodgers. Plus, in a sport where the goal is evading the ball, being a 6’7″, 250-pound target is not ideal.
A couple other notes.
Zankou Chicken is really, really good.
Dodgeball is a surprisingly big time sport in Los Angeles. This was fro the Melrose “A” Mazing league, but there are many others as well. ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz dragged me back out to the court after a Clippers game this season to watch two West Hollywood games going on (they rented the space) and it was impressive. There was strategy, guys and girls with good arms, and a lot of fun being had.
The question is, can Ron Artest dodge a wrench? Because if you can dodge a wrench…
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 0
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 4
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 11
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3