Jul 27, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Yes, that is Ron Artest playing with Team Zankou Chicken in a Los Angeles dodgeball league game (thank you Brothers K at the Land O’ Lakers for finding this). Don’t believe me, follow the link to his entrance.
Yes, that is Ron Artest getting eliminated by a skinny guy with a beard and a sidearm throwing motion. Watch the other videos and you’ll see that Ron Artest, while a very good basketball player who came up huge in Game 7 for the Lakers, is not built for dodge ball. He drops more balls than Roy Williams and his arm couldn’t get him a second base tryout for the Dodgers. Plus, in a sport where the goal is evading the ball, being a 6’7″, 250-pound target is not ideal.
A couple other notes.
Zankou Chicken is really, really good.
Dodgeball is a surprisingly big time sport in Los Angeles. This was fro the Melrose “A” Mazing league, but there are many others as well. ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz dragged me back out to the court after a Clippers game this season to watch two West Hollywood games going on (they rented the space) and it was impressive. There was strategy, guys and girls with good arms, and a lot of fun being had.
The question is, can Ron Artest dodge a wrench? Because if you can dodge a wrench…
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43