Jul 27, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
Greivis Vasquez has a chance to get significant minutes as a rookie backing up Mike Conley as the Memphis point guard this season, if he can get a few things worked out.
One of those things was worked out Tuesday — he had surgery to remove bone spurs from his right ankle. The team announced that the surgery went well and he is expected to be ready to go when training camp opens.
Now it’s just a matter of getting his head on right.
Vasquez has an opportunity. Mike Conley is the starting point guard but that is largely by default, the Grizzlies don’t love him but if you can’t be with the one you love, love the one your with. They tried to experiment with O.J. Mayo at the point in Summer League, but that was a failure.
Greivis, the ACC player of the year last year out of Maryland, showed he has good shooting range and played better defense than expected at Summer League in Vegas. That was the good news. The bad news is he struggled with some basic decision making and running of the offense. He had multiple 8-second back court violations called on him. He had trouble adjusting to the NBA game.
He’ll get plenty of opportunities come the fall. The Grizzlies want him to succeed, they want him to be part of a stronger bench. We’ll see. But his ankle will be better.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 24
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28