Lakers still think they can sign Shannon Brown but Cavaliers have interest, too

Jul 27, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Brown_dunk.jpgShannon Brown opted out of a $2.15 million deal for next year, thinking that his role on back-to-back NBA championship teams could earn him a little raise and a longer term deal.

It may not work out that way.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak told the Los Angeles Times he still wants to sign Brown. However with the signing of Matt Barnes the Lakers are under no pressure to up their offer. What Brown sees is what they likely will get from him.

“I do feel good about signing back Shannon Brown right now,” Kupchak said. “It’s not going to go on for the whole summer. I would guess in the next week to 10 days we’ll have a resolution. That’s my guess.”

The Cavaliers still have interest in signing Brown as well, according to Ben Q. Rock. There may be other teams with some interest as well.

But nobody is jumping over themselves to sign Brown, which means the money and years he gets may not be anywhere near what he hoped.

1. STVE - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Shannon Brown would be a nice fit for the Cavs.

2. RickNelson - Jul 28, 2010 at 6:37 AM

It surprises me that Jordan Farmer got so much more love than Shannon Brown is getting. I guess the scouts still feel that Farmer is potentially an excellent starter and Shannon a spot/energy guy. I’m not knocking Farmer, but he had plenty of chances to show his stuff while Shannon made the absolute best of the minutes he was given. Anyway, I see the appeal to both and as a Lakers fan wish we could have kept them both. Of course, I felt that way about Turiaf, Fish, Ariza and others too but with the salary cap and the fact that Jerry Buss pays real dollars that are usually multiplied by the luxury tax, I know you can’t keep everyone you like if they’re going for the biggest paydays.

3. B. Ramirez - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Let the Cavaliers have him. The Laker’s have already put more time into resigning him, than he is worth. This was the same player who saw no sense in breaking up the team. It’s time to call his bluff.

4. april - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

quit hating on shannon. he is all that and then some.

5. mike williams - Jul 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM

I think shannon should stay with the lakers. Let’s not forget no one cared about shannon when he played for the cavaliers or bobcats. He blossomed as a Laker and has been fortunate enough to win 2 rings. with them. I think he should try to win a third then he can chase the money. Let’s not forget the Trevor Ariza story which goes something like I lose with the knicks I lose with orlando the lakers make me a star. Iget 30 million to lose with the rockets. shannon’s story might be similar I hope not for his sake.

6. niko karl - Jul 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM

yeah, so true mike!! i hope he’s coming back. damn clevaland!

7. juan - Jul 29, 2010 at 6:39 AM

He should have stayed put, he made a bad choice, now he is going to have ask to be back or go some were els. He is a good player and he has jumps but the LAKERS made him a NAME (SHANNON BROWN)befor he was just shannon brown. Being a LAKER is a big thing with out that name you become a nothing. LA LAKERS!!!!!!!

8. austin king - Aug 1, 2010 at 6:06 AM

shannon brown is da truth not paul pierce

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches