Jul 27, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
Shannon Brown opted out of a $2.15 million deal for next year, thinking that his role on back-to-back NBA championship teams could earn him a little raise and a longer term deal.
It may not work out that way.
Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak told the Los Angeles Times he still wants to sign Brown. However with the signing of Matt Barnes the Lakers are under no pressure to up their offer. What Brown sees is what they likely will get from him.
“I do feel good about signing back Shannon Brown right now,” Kupchak said. “It’s not going to go on for the whole summer. I would guess in the next week to 10 days we’ll have a resolution. That’s my guess.”
The Cavaliers still have interest in signing Brown as well, according to Ben Q. Rock. There may be other teams with some interest as well.
But nobody is jumping over themselves to sign Brown, which means the money and years he gets may not be anywhere near what he hoped.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22