Dirk Nowitzki: I would have considered Miami if LeBron, Wade had asked

Jul 27, 2010, 1:08 PM EDT

NBA_nowitzki2_250.jpgNobody thought Dirk Nowitzki was going anywhere. He was technically a free agent but he loves Dallas and Dallas loves him. Especially Mark Cuban, and he had the biggest vote. So this was all a fait accompli…

Or not. Nowitzki said he would have listened to offers where teams were closer to a title than Dallas, at least that’s what he told German reporters outside the Berlin Niketown where he was being honored.

And he would have taken any calls from LeBron James. The Dallas Morning News found this interview in the German basketball publication Crossover (during their daily perusal of German sports pages over morning coffee, we would guess).

I would only be changed (from Dallas) if it was an incredible situation when really what would have been offered. When would now be asked, for example, Wade and LeBron me, ‘Hey, right on time, you come to Miami? That would have been a situation where I would have to consider sharp. But all other situations, since I do not need change, change only. The situation in Dallas is still very good, and there would already have revealed something unbelievable. The problem is that no one could guarantee me the championship.

Of course, the Heat have gone with Bosh at the four, not the most polished of inside presences but more of an inside presence than Nowitzki. And Bosh is younger. Plus Nowitzki says numerous times how happy he is with being in Dallas.

1. Marky Mark - Jul 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Interesting question. I sort of lean toward yes, Dirk would fit better than Bosh, mainly because Bosh is clearly full of himself already and I think of everybody in the hypothetical (LeBron, Wade, Nowitzki, Bosh), Bosh is the most likely to let his ego get in the way. He’s got a documentary in the works, he left Toronto because he felt he wasn’t in the spotlight enough, he’s obviously trying to push himself into the view of the public more. None of these other guys are worrying about that. James and Wade are already NBA icons, and while Dirk is not quite at that level, he certainly seems comfortable with who he is in the grand scheme of things. Can’t say the same about Bosh. I think Miami should be a little weary about him. Just a little.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

“Still it’s a fun hypothetical: Would LeBron/Wade/Nowitzki be better than LeBron/Wade/Bosh? ”
    Absolutely. Why? Because Dirk is a better all-around player than Bosh. No debating that.

3. hnirobert - Jul 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

If I was building a championship team that needed to win now, I’d go with Dirk. But I’m trying to build something for the long run (like the next 6 years), I’d go with Bosh strictly because of his age.

4. Manny - Jul 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM

So Dirk said that he would have considered going to Miami is Wade asked???
    Me too, Dirk. Me too.

5. dave - Jul 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM

That is one seriously mangled translation.

6. Seven Championships - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I don’t know, does Dirk miss 10-15 games every year due to injury like RuPaul? Dirk would be better, but I doubt he would be as big of a Superfriend as Bosh.

7. IheartMiami - Jul 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Dirk is not homosexual, so I don’t think he would have fit very well with Lebron and Wade.

8. chili22 - Jul 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM

“When now for once I offered to go when it was that they thought I could win, Wade and Lebron said “right on time, come to Miami” I would consider sharp, and so much so. There would have revealed the championship, but no one then could guarantee. When would now the incredible situation be, I would go. But as it was change in Dallas is very good, unbelievably so, and I change do not need.”

9. mystic - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Well, the translation isn’t any good. That’s what Nowitzki said:
    For me to consider leaving Dallas the situation offered must have been incredible. If, for example, James and Wade would have called me: “Hey, do you want to come to Miami”. That would have been a situation I had hard to think about (I would have considered strongly). But I don’t need to go to another team just for changing the team. The situation in Dallas is still very good, and nothing unbelievable came up. The problem is that no one could guarantee me a championship.

10. Walt - Jul 28, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Dirk is a much better player than Bosh, even when you account for age. What has Bosh ever done? He quit on a team that had a good shot to make the playoffs last year. He helped take a couple of teams, including a 3rd seeded Raptors team, to a first round loss. And his teams missed the playoffs the other five seasons. When has Bosh ever played tough?

11. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM

aww Dirky. They would have considered you if you were a part of their little ‘friendship’, and that would have probably been more likely if you were Black. #imjustsayin

12. keepntabs - Aug 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I don’t think that being black is the key for being in their clique as much as having played together on the U.S. national teams.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview