Jul 26, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:11 PM: Brian Windhorst also reported that Wolves center Ryan Hollins could be involved in the deal.
5:23 PM: The Cleveland Cavaliers have been linked to all kinds of names in their attempt to repopulate their void left by LeBron James’ departure. Ramon Sessions has been a recurring figure in those rumors, and despite a period of internet silence regarding that possibility, it seems like both teams are ready to roll once again. According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Cavs and the Minnesota Timberwolves have had “advanced talks” about the possibility of a deal that would include Ramon Sessions.
The Wolves have reportedly been trying to move one of their point guards (either Sessions or Jonny Flynn) throughout the summer. Signing Luke Ridnour to a four-year, $16 million contract made that task both more difficult and more urgent (having three PGs in the rotation negates some of Minnesota’s leverage).
The Cavs, on the other hand, are clearly not enamored with Mo Williams. They’re also trying to capitalize on Delonte West’s partially unguaranteed salary for next season by moving him to a team looking to dump salary, and based on Sessions’ sub-par 2009-2010 season, Minny certainly qualifies. The Wolves have a positional glut with no clear standout, and Sessions would be completely unnecessary there next season. Meanwhile, Cleveland is looking for younger pieces to build around, and willing to take a shot on the 24 year-old point guard.
Sessions for West would be a legal swap straight-up, and would save Minnesota about $3.5 million next season if they were to waive West prior to August 3rd. Then again, there are no reports indicating that West’s inclusion in the deal is certain, and there could conceivably be a number of moving parts to a trade for Sessions.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32