Jul 26, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:11 PM: Brian Windhorst also reported that Wolves center Ryan Hollins could be involved in the deal.
5:23 PM: The Cleveland Cavaliers have been linked to all kinds of names in their attempt to repopulate their void left by LeBron James’ departure. Ramon Sessions has been a recurring figure in those rumors, and despite a period of internet silence regarding that possibility, it seems like both teams are ready to roll once again. According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Cavs and the Minnesota Timberwolves have had “advanced talks” about the possibility of a deal that would include Ramon Sessions.
The Wolves have reportedly been trying to move one of their point guards (either Sessions or Jonny Flynn) throughout the summer. Signing Luke Ridnour to a four-year, $16 million contract made that task both more difficult and more urgent (having three PGs in the rotation negates some of Minnesota’s leverage).
The Cavs, on the other hand, are clearly not enamored with Mo Williams. They’re also trying to capitalize on Delonte West’s partially unguaranteed salary for next season by moving him to a team looking to dump salary, and based on Sessions’ sub-par 2009-2010 season, Minny certainly qualifies. The Wolves have a positional glut with no clear standout, and Sessions would be completely unnecessary there next season. Meanwhile, Cleveland is looking for younger pieces to build around, and willing to take a shot on the 24 year-old point guard.
Sessions for West would be a legal swap straight-up, and would save Minnesota about $3.5 million next season if they were to waive West prior to August 3rd. Then again, there are no reports indicating that West’s inclusion in the deal is certain, and there could conceivably be a number of moving parts to a trade for Sessions.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68