Jul 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
If we’ve learned anything from free agency this summer, it’s that NBA superstars are a part of some secret, underground, Freemason-esque society. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh have been conspiring to team up for the last 15 years, and only now, with all of the planets in perfect alignment in their orbits and all three stars unrestricted free agents, could their vision finally be made a reality.
Of course, Chris Paul was in on everything. He too is a part of the superstar fraternity, and as such, LeBron has fully endorsed Paul’s decision to attempt to force his way out of New Orleans, with a caveat. It seems that even relationships formed in super secret underground lairs have their limits, and according to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, James would prefer it if Chris Paul stayed in the Western Conference, to make for a better rivalry.
I’m sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of Paul ending up in Orlando (improbable though it may be), and teaming up with Dwight Howard to cut James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh down in the conference finals. Nope, nothing to do with that at all.
LeBron just wants to make a better rivalry by putting Chris Paul miles and miles away rather than in his own backyard, by playing him two or three times a season rather than four, and in a completely different division that wouldn’t have the two highly-competitive stars battling it out for regional supremacy. This all makes perfect sense.
There’s no question that having Chris Paul, regardless of what team he’s on, in the NBA finals against LeBron, Wade, and Bosh would make for a fantastic show. However, there’s plenty more to James’ wish than simply wanting to meet Paul on the league’s biggest stage, and to ignore his more selfish interests here would be foolish.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29