Jul 26, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Orlando may be the most natural landing spot for Chris Paul should he be traded, and New York the most glamorous. Yet Dallas was also included on Paul’s list of preferred destinations, and while the Mavs don’t have a ton of young, proven talent to sweeten the pot, a trade with Dallas could make all kinds of sense for New Orleans.
Between Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, and J.J. Barea, the Mavs have about $29 million in expiring contracts to throw the Hornets’ way. Add in 22 year-old dynamo Rodrigue Beaubois, cash compensations, and a few draft picks, and you have the makings of a pretty interesting financial package that would allow the Hornets to virtually clear their cap by ditching the contracts of Emeka Okafor and James Posey.
Even if you don’t believe in the Mavs’ ability to get a deal done, Dirk Nowitzki does. In an interview with Welt Online, Dirk noted that (according to a loose translation) “Mark [Cuban] will certainly put everything in motion [in an attempt to get Chris Paul],” (link via DallasBasketball.com).
That doesn’t mean New Orleans will bite or even that Dallas could put together the most attractive trade package, but Nowitzki clearly has faith in Cuban’s thoroughness. Even if the Mavs don’t have the pieces necessary to make a deal possible, Dirk can at least find some comfort in knowing that his owner is willing to explore all possible roads that could lead Chris Paul to Dallas.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (109)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'