Jul 24, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Helpful tip for NBA free-agents. If you’re looking at possible teams to join? Try looking at their roster first. If they happen to employ someone who plays your position and plays at well, for more money and is younger? They’re probably not interested. If they employ two, halve that percentage they’re into you.
Shaquille O’Neal thinks that tip is dumb.
NBA FanHouse’s Tim Povtak reports that Shaq is lobbying the Celtics to sign him for the veteran minimum so he can join the Eastern Conference champs. I’m going to do this bullet points because it makes my head hurt and it’s simpler this way.
- The Celtics signed Jermaine O’Neal this summer to the MLE.
- The Celtics still have an injured but coming back Kendrick Perkins on roster.
- Shaq is older than most of the remaining fossil fuels on the earth.
- Notice how all of the rumors about Shaq joining teams are coming from Shaq’s camp.
- This move would only further seek to resuscitate the Kobe-Shaq feud which is dead in the cold, cold ground.
Shaq can still play. He can. He can rebound, He’s still got more touch around the basket than Dwight Howard, plays defense in the post, can pass, has some quickness, and has all the veteran tricks.
He’s also a monstrous liability in pick and roll defense, can’t extend out to mid-range, is still out of shape, is very old in NBA years, and has been known to be a locker room problem because of the size of his ego.
So there are pluses and minuses.
Perkins is facing a hard come back and the Celtics do need frontcourt help, especially to battle Dwight Howard and Miami’s triple threat.
But Shaq is 38 years old, will still want a starting spot, and we’ve yet to hear any indication that the Celtics are interested in going in this direction. The Celtics taking on a player who isn’t versatile in their help defensive sets doesn’t seem very likely. This isn’t Penny Hardaway being discussed for the Heat, but you can see it from here.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8