Jul 24, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Helpful tip for NBA free-agents. If you’re looking at possible teams to join? Try looking at their roster first. If they happen to employ someone who plays your position and plays at well, for more money and is younger? They’re probably not interested. If they employ two, halve that percentage they’re into you.
Shaquille O’Neal thinks that tip is dumb.
NBA FanHouse’s Tim Povtak reports that Shaq is lobbying the Celtics to sign him for the veteran minimum so he can join the Eastern Conference champs. I’m going to do this bullet points because it makes my head hurt and it’s simpler this way.
- The Celtics signed Jermaine O’Neal this summer to the MLE.
- The Celtics still have an injured but coming back Kendrick Perkins on roster.
- Shaq is older than most of the remaining fossil fuels on the earth.
- Notice how all of the rumors about Shaq joining teams are coming from Shaq’s camp.
- This move would only further seek to resuscitate the Kobe-Shaq feud which is dead in the cold, cold ground.
Shaq can still play. He can. He can rebound, He’s still got more touch around the basket than Dwight Howard, plays defense in the post, can pass, has some quickness, and has all the veteran tricks.
He’s also a monstrous liability in pick and roll defense, can’t extend out to mid-range, is still out of shape, is very old in NBA years, and has been known to be a locker room problem because of the size of his ego.
So there are pluses and minuses.
Perkins is facing a hard come back and the Celtics do need frontcourt help, especially to battle Dwight Howard and Miami’s triple threat.
But Shaq is 38 years old, will still want a starting spot, and we’ve yet to hear any indication that the Celtics are interested in going in this direction. The Celtics taking on a player who isn’t versatile in their help defensive sets doesn’t seem very likely. This isn’t Penny Hardaway being discussed for the Heat, but you can see it from here.
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 7
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 2
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 13
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 7
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)