Jul 24, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
After Donnie Walsh tapped him to make their final pitch to LeBron James (that went well), there were discussions that the Knicks were looking at Isiah Thomas to fill their GM position. Subsequently, Knicks fans began experiencing a range of symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, vertigo, and an uncontrollable urge to destroy everything in their path.
This is mostly due to the fact that Thomas was without question the single worst GM in modern NBA history, potentially in the history of professional sports. He acquired the worst kinds of contracts for players who ranged from mediocre to outright terrible. He was sued for sexual harassment and even his draft picks, which were considered high points, wound up as terrible outside of David Lee.
Luckily for Knicks fans, good news has been confirmed. The NY Post reports that a source close to the Knicks confirmed “there is no job for him there now.” The door isn’t completely closed, but with Walsh repeatedly confirming he will not be hiring a GM this summer and Allan Houston a leading candidate, it looks like Knick fans don’t have to worry about the return of the franchise destroyer.
But he’s out there.
Preparing to sign someone absolutely terrible to a max contract while trading away picks and young players for marginal talent with huge contracts. He’s seen what David Kahn has done. And he will not have his legacy overwritten. Thomas is always there, lurking for the chance to return.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15