Jul 23, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
People just like Pooh Jeter.
He’s an undersized underdog who is a solid floor general and a good point guard. After graduating college he has spent the last four seasons either in the D-League or Europe. He blogged for DraftExpress. He was a Summer League staple. And he just kept working hard.
Today the Sacramento Kings announced that they have signed Jeter to a deal. DraftExpress reports this is a fully guaranteed deal, so he will make the Kings roster.
There are not a ton of point guard minutes to go around in Sacramento as Tyreke Evans gets the lion’s share. As he should. But Jeter is easy to root for as a backup, a small guy (5’11″) who seemed to find a way to make it work. The drawback was always that not only was he small, his shot didn’t fall often enough — but that he could change. He shot 48 percent in Vegas Summer League this year with the Cavaliers, scoring 14 points per game.
Bottom line is now he gets his shot. Good guy earns his way on to a big stage. People who love the underdog should be happy.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 6
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 9
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 15
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement