Jul 23, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
People just like Pooh Jeter.
He’s an undersized underdog who is a solid floor general and a good point guard. After graduating college he has spent the last four seasons either in the D-League or Europe. He blogged for DraftExpress. He was a Summer League staple. And he just kept working hard.
Today the Sacramento Kings announced that they have signed Jeter to a deal. DraftExpress reports this is a fully guaranteed deal, so he will make the Kings roster.
There are not a ton of point guard minutes to go around in Sacramento as Tyreke Evans gets the lion’s share. As he should. But Jeter is easy to root for as a backup, a small guy (5’11″) who seemed to find a way to make it work. The drawback was always that not only was he small, his shot didn’t fall often enough — but that he could change. He shot 48 percent in Vegas Summer League this year with the Cavaliers, scoring 14 points per game.
Bottom line is now he gets his shot. Good guy earns his way on to a big stage. People who love the underdog should be happy.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'