Jul 23, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Last year the Warriors were not hit with an injury bug, it was more like an injury plague of locust. In the nearly quarter century since the NBA started tracking this stuff, only one NBA team has ever lost more man games to injury. Golden State lost 501 man games last season.
Then David Lee signs a contract with the Golden State, isn’t on the court 15 minutes of practice with Team USA, and he is out with an injury. First-round pick (No. 6 overall) Ekpe Udoh has already had to undergo wrist surgery.
Apparently somebody drank Jobu’s rum (we’re looking at you, Don Nelson), because there is a curse on the team. Don’t take my word for it, here is what Stephen Curry told Yahoo.
“It was the curse of the Warriors,” Curry said. “I don’t know what else it is. Every time someone joins our team, injuries seem to happen.”
The team is bound for a change of luck. New owners. That should mean a new coach and general manager. New logo this year. Time for a culture shift. The team has Curry and Lee now, plus Monta Ellis, which are a few pieces to build around for the future.
The goal for this year: Make the playoffs. Not easy in a stacked West, but not unreasonable for the Warriors. If they can stay healthy.
If the curse is lifted.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30