Jul 23, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Last year the Warriors were not hit with an injury bug, it was more like an injury plague of locust. In the nearly quarter century since the NBA started tracking this stuff, only one NBA team has ever lost more man games to injury. Golden State lost 501 man games last season.
Then David Lee signs a contract with the Golden State, isn’t on the court 15 minutes of practice with Team USA, and he is out with an injury. First-round pick (No. 6 overall) Ekpe Udoh has already had to undergo wrist surgery.
Apparently somebody drank Jobu’s rum (we’re looking at you, Don Nelson), because there is a curse on the team. Don’t take my word for it, here is what Stephen Curry told Yahoo.
“It was the curse of the Warriors,” Curry said. “I don’t know what else it is. Every time someone joins our team, injuries seem to happen.”
The team is bound for a change of luck. New owners. That should mean a new coach and general manager. New logo this year. Time for a culture shift. The team has Curry and Lee now, plus Monta Ellis, which are a few pieces to build around for the future.
The goal for this year: Make the playoffs. Not easy in a stacked West, but not unreasonable for the Warriors. If they can stay healthy.
If the curse is lifted.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 17
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 29
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23