Jul 23, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Last year the Warriors were not hit with an injury bug, it was more like an injury plague of locust. In the nearly quarter century since the NBA started tracking this stuff, only one NBA team has ever lost more man games to injury. Golden State lost 501 man games last season.
Then David Lee signs a contract with the Golden State, isn’t on the court 15 minutes of practice with Team USA, and he is out with an injury. First-round pick (No. 6 overall) Ekpe Udoh has already had to undergo wrist surgery.
Apparently somebody drank Jobu’s rum (we’re looking at you, Don Nelson), because there is a curse on the team. Don’t take my word for it, here is what Stephen Curry told Yahoo.
“It was the curse of the Warriors,” Curry said. “I don’t know what else it is. Every time someone joins our team, injuries seem to happen.”
The team is bound for a change of luck. New owners. That should mean a new coach and general manager. New logo this year. Time for a culture shift. The team has Curry and Lee now, plus Monta Ellis, which are a few pieces to build around for the future.
The goal for this year: Make the playoffs. Not easy in a stacked West, but not unreasonable for the Warriors. If they can stay healthy.
If the curse is lifted.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona