Jul 23, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Last year the Warriors were not hit with an injury bug, it was more like an injury plague of locust. In the nearly quarter century since the NBA started tracking this stuff, only one NBA team has ever lost more man games to injury. Golden State lost 501 man games last season.
Then David Lee signs a contract with the Golden State, isn’t on the court 15 minutes of practice with Team USA, and he is out with an injury. First-round pick (No. 6 overall) Ekpe Udoh has already had to undergo wrist surgery.
Apparently somebody drank Jobu’s rum (we’re looking at you, Don Nelson), because there is a curse on the team. Don’t take my word for it, here is what Stephen Curry told Yahoo.
“It was the curse of the Warriors,” Curry said. “I don’t know what else it is. Every time someone joins our team, injuries seem to happen.”
The team is bound for a change of luck. New owners. That should mean a new coach and general manager. New logo this year. Time for a culture shift. The team has Curry and Lee now, plus Monta Ellis, which are a few pieces to build around for the future.
The goal for this year: Make the playoffs. Not easy in a stacked West, but not unreasonable for the Warriors. If they can stay healthy.
If the curse is lifted.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14