Jul 23, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
With a deep backcourt that includes Chauncey Billups and Russell Westbrook, there were questions about Rajon Rondo on Team USA. Basically, how would his game translate to the international stage? Could his lack of a steady outside shot cost him?
And was he really committed to the team after seeming to waffle on his commitment?
On the first part, Rondo told Sports Illustrated it was not about his willingness to play, it was about his body after a long season.
“It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be here,” he said. “It’s the wear and tear on my body. I played  games last year. I was pretty banged up after the season. It was the same thing the last couple of years. I’m young, which is probably the only reason why I’m here. If I was a little older, I probably wouldn’t have done it.”
As for how his game translates — Rondo has been one of the standouts in camp. He makes good decisions in transition and with a young team that can run he gets a lot of opportunities. He likely will be headed on to New York, where 15 players will go to compete for 12 roster spots next month.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona