Jul 23, 2010, 7:18 PM EDT
Regardless of whether Lance Stephenson is better suited to be a point guard or a shooting guard, he’ll be a Pacer next season. In a completely unsurprising move, Indiana signed the No. 40 pick in this year’s draft to a multi-year deal, according to NBA.com.
Pacers coach Jim O’Brien fancies Stephenson a point guard, and he thrived in that capacity in the Orlando Summer League. However, while Lance was able to score with relative ease against his Summer League contemporaries, he didn’t exactly rack up the assists. In the three games in which Stephenson played significant minutes, he totaled just six assists while turning the ball over seven times. Summer League stats may not be worth all that much, but it’s clear that if Stephenson is going to be a point guard, he’s going to be cast in the scoring mold.
Regardless, Stephenson looks like great value for a second round pick. Lance was unspectacular in his freshman season at Cincinnati, but he’s long been considered more of a pro prospect than a candidate for college stardom. Stephenson has definitely piqued the Pacers’ interest, and he may end up securing some steady burn — both at the 1 and the 2 — for Indy in ’10-’11.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona