Jul 23, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Lakers signed another big man, someone who can come off the bench and protect the rim.
Theo Ratliff will not bring the high-quality iPod playlist that Josh Powell had in the Lakers locker room, but on the court the defensive-minded Ratliff should be a solid addition playing the same role. Ratliff reached a one-year, $1.35 million deal with the Lakers.
What the Lakers want and need is a guy who can play a few minutes, help fill in during injuries, and no be on a mistake-heavy rookie learning curve.
Here is the official quote from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak: “Theo has long been considered one of the best defensive big men in the league. He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line.”
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34