Jul 23, 2010, 10:31 AM EST
The Lakers signed another big man, someone who can come off the bench and protect the rim.
Theo Ratliff will not bring the high-quality iPod playlist that Josh Powell had in the Lakers locker room, but on the court the defensive-minded Ratliff should be a solid addition playing the same role. Ratliff reached a one-year, $1.35 million deal with the Lakers.
What the Lakers want and need is a guy who can play a few minutes, help fill in during injuries, and no be on a mistake-heavy rookie learning curve.
Here is the official quote from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak: “Theo has long been considered one of the best defensive big men in the league. He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line.”
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 2
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 16
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25