Jul 23, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Lakers signed another big man, someone who can come off the bench and protect the rim.
Theo Ratliff will not bring the high-quality iPod playlist that Josh Powell had in the Lakers locker room, but on the court the defensive-minded Ratliff should be a solid addition playing the same role. Ratliff reached a one-year, $1.35 million deal with the Lakers.
What the Lakers want and need is a guy who can play a few minutes, help fill in during injuries, and no be on a mistake-heavy rookie learning curve.
Here is the official quote from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak: “Theo has long been considered one of the best defensive big men in the league. He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line.”
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 4
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 21
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 33
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 46
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 35