Jul 23, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT
Kurt Thomas will be the veteran big man off the bench in Chicago this season — and just as importantly play the role of mentor.
In a nice little pickup, the Bulls and Thomas have agreed to a two-year deal (second being a team option). Thomas slides into the Brad Miller role — 15 minutes a night off the bench to spell Joakim Noah. The difference is Thomas plays some defense.
Thomas played that same “big off the bench” role last year in Milwaukee and gave them 3 points, 4 rebounds and few mistakes in his time. He stepped it up in the playoffs, filling in for the injured Andrew Bogut, helping the Bucks almost take out the Hawks in the first round.
Bulls fans have high hopes for Omer Asik, the Turkish center finally coming to the States. Asik may eventually get those backup big man minutes. But Asik is in for an adjustment period, maybe a harsh one. Thomas can play the role of mentor there as well
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 1
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings