Jul 23, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: 5:01 pm: Antoine Wright is a King. You can all rest and enjoy your weekend now, and everyone in Sacramento may leave work early and head to happy hour. Wright has proclaimed you can.
11:57 am: The idea of getting a defensive specialist out of Toronto — the worst defensive team in the NBA last season — seems oxymoronic. But that is what the Kings are about to do.
The Kings are near a one-year deal with Antoine Wright, something first reported by Tim Cowlishaw the Dallas Morning News. The idea is that Wright could help defensively, but can he? Did he really help the sad defense in Toronto last season?
Tom Ziller over at Sactown Royalty spent the time on Synergy, watched the video and found that Wright is a pretty good defender.
On the whole, Wright is solid enough defender to help the Kings along this season. Best of all, perhaps, is that his reputation is solely made on defense, so he’ll know his role and (hopefully) limit his offense to taking open shots created by Evans, Beno and Mystery Third Ball-Handling Guard To Be Named Later.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 0
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 11
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 10
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25