Kevin Durant on announcing his deal on twitter: What did you expect?

Jul 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EST

durant.jpgIt wasn’t what Kevin Durant did this summer that was a surprise. Everybody knew Oklahoma City was going to offer him a max extension, and everybody knew he was going to sign it.

What made it news was how it was handled was such a contrast to the other big free agent moves this summer. Durant stayed with his team, didn’t make a spectacle of himself and announced the deal quietly on twitter. As much as anything is quiet on twitter. Bottom line — Durant was everything LeBron was not.

Durant himself hasn’t even spoken much about it publicly, but he put his thoughts up on his blog today about the process. It’s all very Durant.

First off, I’ve always said that Oklahoma City is a place I want to be and I couldn’t imagine not playing for the Thunder, especially with these great teammates and coaches and support staff. So when I got approached with a contract extension once negotiations could start, signing it wasn’t a very hard decision. It was really a no-brainer. If people were paying attention to what I’ve been saying for the last three years, then they’d know my heart has always been with the Thunder. This organization has been moving in the right direction since the day I got here.

Now as far as announcing my signing through Twitter…..c’mon, what else would you expect?!?! You all know how much I love Twitter and Facebook and social media in general. I’ve met so many fans through social media. That’s how a lot of us athletes connect with fans in this day and age. I love giving out free tickets or Nike gear and answering all your questions, even the crazy funny ones. So I didn’t think twice to announce my contract extension through Twitter. I wanted to make sure all my fans and supporters were the first to know, and most importantly to get the news straight from me!

Now, the friends and family and fans who know me weren’t surprised that it’s how I let everyone know. But some people keep asking why I didn’t announce it on national television or something like that. I really get a laugh out of that. I keep telling people how my situation was much different from all the other big names out there. First of all, I was just up for a contract extension. LeBron, Chris Bosh and D-Wade, those guys were unrestricted free agents, so there was more hype with their decision, more people who wanted to know what was gonna go down. That’s a big difference.

And as I told someone the other day, LeBron James is the biggest name in sports. Nothing he does is ever going to go quiet. You can’t blame him for what happened and how he made his decision. Again, my situation was totally different.

It was a very different situation. And they are very different people.

1. LeFool - Jul 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I don’t think that was written by Kevin Durant. It’s too coherent and sounds more like a press release. I mean, it fits with his personality, but it looks more like a PR campaign to make him the new “golden boy” of the NBA now that LeBron James clearly won’t be.

2. sammy - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM

KD’s official blog is likely written by a ghostwriter at Nike. It’s a very professional looking site that I can’t imagine KD actually maintaining.

3. Echelon - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Man, it’s sad how jaded we’ve had to be thanks to LeBron and all these less-than-pure athletes. When we run into a genuine one, we’re naturally suspicious.

4. Jimee Johnnson - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Note: take this comment and stick it where the sun don’t shine: “It was terrible that LeBron donated all the proceeds from his announcement to a Boys And Girls Club. More athletes should shun charity and listen to the narrow minded haters who think they know everything. And unless you are white you have no right to do something unique, media wise. Also, don’t forget that players are chattel and owners literally own the players like slaves.”
    Written by some narrow minded kook who hates the fact that LeBron James is by far more successful than s/he will ever even hope to be!

5. NP - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM

This was Kevin, or at least mostly Kevin. If anyone saw the Easter Sunday pregame speech he gave, idc if was touched up or whatever by PR, he’s the real deal…humble, thanking fans and families, and he will be the best player in the NBA 3 years from now. You hafta love a guy like KD…he does things the right way, and the Thunder stand to benefit. Throw in a Sem Presti (a GREAT GM…moves speak for themselves), add in a point guard, a city that is thriving because of the Thunder (and loving every minute of it), and you’ve got a great thing.
    Let’s not forget Kev laying on the ground in complete emotional agony on his home court after that Game 6 loss to the Lakers. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a man who is planning to attain much more.
    KD does things right, and while I’m now anoingting him as the “second-coming”, he’s certainly one of a kind.

6. NP - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

7. NP - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM

excuse me…NOT anointing him as the “second-coming”

8. Sarl - Jul 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM

While I agree that Durant is the real deal, he is one of the nicest and one of the most humble people you will find. The above statement is not his own writing. It was done by a ghostwriter with his input. I know all athletes are not dumb but those were not words written by Durant. I don’t have a problem with him having a ghostwriter–hell, as listening to what some of these dubm athelete put out on facebook and twitter, you wuold hope that they had ghostwriters. With that being said, I love KD–his game his humility and his ability to connect with the “common folkt” but more importantly to embrace a rinky dink city like Oaklahoma City. No offense to OK but most athletes want the bight lights and the big cities. Why do you think LaBron left Cleveland. Would you rather live in Miami, NY, Jersey or Chicago? I rest my case

9. Glenn - Jul 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Sarl: Choose among Miami, NY, Jersey, or Chicago? I have been to those places and I choose Oklahoma City. Since you consider it “rinky dink”, tell me how long you lived in OKC to make you qualified to criticize it.

10. LeFool - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:37 PM

BTW, not saying that KD didn’t write that out of hatred or cynicism. Seems to me that if these were the people in the ear of Lebron James, and more importantly Chris Paul, they’d be way better off.

11. Hoog - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM

For the most part, I haven’t followed the NBA in the past ten years more than on a casual basis. Most of the stars seem like self absorbed tools, every game goes down to the last 2 minutes, regardless of how the game started, sort of like a bad movie. Every team has the same music, bland, boring, and predictable.
    With that being said, Kevin Durant is quickly growing as my favorite player in the NBA. He just gets it. Also, nothing against the people of OKC, but I wish this team was in Seattle. I hate it when fans with a rich NBA history, suffer because of ownership. And no, I’m not, nor have I ever been from Seattle. I just like teams with history to stay there.

12. Nate Jones - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Hey,
    I work with Kevin and oversee his digital media platforms. I just want you to know that although Kevin doesn’t sit down and write his blog, every word on Kevin’s blog is from him. We have a writer that sits down with Kevin and transcribes Kevin’s thoughts on various issues. It might seem too good to be true, but trust me it’s not. If this blog was just a ghost written blog, he would have more than 1 or 2 posts every few weeks. Half the time my job is to chase him down and make sure he takes some time to sit down and give us his thoughts, beyond what is written by traditional media entities.
    Anyhow, thanks for all of your support. Hit me up on twitter @jonesonthenba if you have any questions

13. Sarl - Jul 23, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Thanks for you comments Glenn. I acknowledge and apprecaite your insight. I am a midwesterner to a certain degree having gone to HS in Indiana and college at IU in Bloomington. Regarding the amount of time I spent in Oklahoma City was minimun–about 3 months total doing some missionary work for the National Board of Missions of the United Presbyterian Church. I found OC to be a very lazy and sleepy town without any night life. I still stand by my comments that unless you are truly a midwesterner for life, who wouldn’t chose NY, Miami, Jersey and possible Chicago over OC.

14. tlankster - Jul 24, 2010 at 8:50 AM

No reasonable or objective person would make the statement that players looking or large, uber urban, fast paced cities with almost 24/7 nightlife would prefer OKC, but hey,that is the case for anyone. The Thunder organization will fit players that value family, committment to winning, great organization, great fans and loyalty. If a guy doesn’t value those things so be it go elsewhere, simple as that

15. Jake Isle - Jul 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

24/7 nightlife?
    Only New Orleans qualifies for that. Bars close in other places, though some at 4 am, which is better than others.
    Also, if they’re looking for “large, uber urban (?), fast paced cities,” I would agree that OKC is not a prime destination.
    But players that are interested in winning…

16. JERSEYYANK - Jul 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

So if the quiet, calm, and intelligent young man handles it this way, then someone else musst be handling it for him. That comment alone gives everyone who reads your blog a peek into what you really think about the up and coming basketball players of today.
    Kevin has never given the apearance of being an arrogant knucklehead, so why would you think he can’t be doing this for himself. Did he say something that we all missed, or are you being just a bit judgemental of his personality and his way of handling his business. Snap out of it get some fresh air and realize, no two individuals are alike (individual) and stop acting like you know something

17. JW - Jul 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Exactly and the press is a bunch of idiots. They created the Lebron spectacle just as much as he played the part. The worst part about the whole Lebron issue is they pushed it, then they blast him for doing what they created! All the people who are dogging Lebron are easily manipulated and simple idiots that buy into whatever the mainstream news wants you to believe.

18. steve - Jul 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

who cares if KD wrote it or not? Has Obama written one speech? Nope. George Bush? Nope. Does any public personality do their own stuff? Not as far as I can see. The point is those words are the words that Kevin wanted to reflect his character and personality and I, for one, love it. Stop holding Kevin to a standard that we don’t hold ANY OTHER PUBLIC FIGURE TO. It is so refreshing to see him in contrast to Lebron and, man, he’s got game!

19. steve - Jul 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

By the way, JW
    I love how you think Lebron was this innocent dupe who got pushed into something he didn’t want. I guess I’m a simple idiot who believes that people do what they want to do. The Lebron telethon is exactly what he wanted. He wanted an hour to obssess on himself and he is so narcissistic that he thought that everyone would just think that was great. I don’t really care that the proceeds went to some charity. I would have respected him a lot more if he would have just given the money and made a simple announcement like real people do. I’m tired of self-anointed great ones like Lebron. You’d think he had already won 6 rings, but oops, he hasn’t won anything yet. Oh, I’m sorry, he won 3 state high school championships. The Chosen One. . .King James. . .Right. I’ll take Kevin any day of the week.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches