Jul 23, 2010, 1:25 PM EST
I don’t know if you heard, but LeBron James recently left the Cleveland Cavaliers, instantly demoting the franchise from perennial contender to — at best — middle-of-the-pack sideshow. But never fear, Clevelanders — the Cavs have signed the 30th pick in the 2009 draft, Christian Eyenga, to a two-year deal (with team options in the third and fourth years) worth approximately $2 million in guaranteed money according to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Eyenga should slide comfortably into LeBron’s shoes next season, in the same way that a toddler can slide comfortably into the shoes of a full-grown adult. Eyenga is actually a pretty interesting player for a late-late-late first rounder, but occasional rotation minutes are all one could reasonably ask of him in his rookie season. Eyenga isn’t quite ready for a full-time NBA gig, but there’s nothing wrong with bringing him in ahead of schedule to work on his development. It’s not like Cleveland will be vying for the title again this season anyway.
Maybe that was uncalled for. Would it make it better if I said I’m sorry, Cavs fans? If I wished you a very happy Delonte West salary dump? If I say that even if you don’t have LeBron, you still have your dignity?
Yeah, didn’t think so. Good luck with Eyenga, though. He could be a rather decent player if the Cavs give him time to develop and put him in a position to succeed.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 11
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19