Jul 23, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
After Chris Paul’s list of places he’d like to be traded to came out, the natural response was to seek out a preference of Paul, the Hornets, and King of Mardis Gras. Just as it was with LeBron, only without any sort of leverage on the part of the player, every city of fans believe they are the best fit for the young point guard. New Orleans probably feels strongest in that regard.
But Chris Broussard has a report tonight on what Paul’s preference is. You remember Chris, don’t you? He was the one who mentioned on a little 4-letter network that LeBron James would be joining the Miami Heat. So it’s been a pretty good month for Broussey’s track record. Can I call him Broussey? No? Okay, then. Either way, Broussard hasn’t done too bad this month.
And he reports that Orlando has supplanted the Knicks as Chris Paul’s preferred destination.
Before we get too far and I have to start ducking from the good people of New Orleans throwing pint glasses of Abita Amber at me (don’t waste it!), let’s set something straight. Chris Paul can prefer New York. LA. Orlando. Manchester United. The New York Football Giants. The Monstars. It won’t matter if Dell Demps thinks that trading Chris Paul is madness. And it is.
You have to look at the offers. You have to consider it. You have to entertain the idea. But at the end of the day, you realize that you have David West, Emeka Okafor, two talented rookies, and that doesn’t add up to trading the best point guard in the league. If Demps realizes that, there’s no alternative. There’s no rationalization. They will not trade Chris Paul.
So we wait and hear more word out of Chris Paul’s camp, and wait to see if the Hornets blink.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18