Jul 23, 2010, 9:01 PM EST
After Chris Paul’s list of places he’d like to be traded to came out, the natural response was to seek out a preference of Paul, the Hornets, and King of Mardis Gras. Just as it was with LeBron, only without any sort of leverage on the part of the player, every city of fans believe they are the best fit for the young point guard. New Orleans probably feels strongest in that regard.
But Chris Broussard has a report tonight on what Paul’s preference is. You remember Chris, don’t you? He was the one who mentioned on a little 4-letter network that LeBron James would be joining the Miami Heat. So it’s been a pretty good month for Broussey’s track record. Can I call him Broussey? No? Okay, then. Either way, Broussard hasn’t done too bad this month.
And he reports that Orlando has supplanted the Knicks as Chris Paul’s preferred destination.
Before we get too far and I have to start ducking from the good people of New Orleans throwing pint glasses of Abita Amber at me (don’t waste it!), let’s set something straight. Chris Paul can prefer New York. LA. Orlando. Manchester United. The New York Football Giants. The Monstars. It won’t matter if Dell Demps thinks that trading Chris Paul is madness. And it is.
You have to look at the offers. You have to consider it. You have to entertain the idea. But at the end of the day, you realize that you have David West, Emeka Okafor, two talented rookies, and that doesn’t add up to trading the best point guard in the league. If Demps realizes that, there’s no alternative. There’s no rationalization. They will not trade Chris Paul.
So we wait and hear more word out of Chris Paul’s camp, and wait to see if the Hornets blink.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 11
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13