Jul 22, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Chris Paul wants to get traded, we get it. What we don’t get is where, exactly.
The first report from Ken Berger of CBSSports.com said the Knicks, Magic and Lakers were on the list. But that’s not what ESPN’s Chris Broussard heard, and he is probably as well connected with LeBron’s people and the marketing firm LRMR as anyone (and Paul signed with LRMR recently).
Sources told Broussard on Thursday that the Knicks and Magic are on Paul’s list of preferred destinations, but the Lakers are not. Sources told Broussard that the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks are also in the running if Paul were to be traded.
All four of those teams make some sense (although could Paul and Brandon Roy, two guys who like the ball in their hands, really co-exist well?). More sense than the Lakers, anyway. New York and Orlando make a ton of sense, great pick-and-roll partners in those cities.
Personally, I’ve said the Hornets should not trade Paul. But if they do, they are not going to just want to move their biggest star — the price is going to be taking on Emeka Okafor or one of the other bad contracts weighing down the Hornets roster. If they are going to rebuild, they will want to clear the decks.
That is going to mean a lot of moving parts in any deal. Expect it to take time, a long time. Or the Hornets could just go through the motions of a deal they never will make.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional