Jul 22, 2010, 1:38 PM EDT
Look at the lineup of teams where ownership lets the basketball people make basketball decisions: Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Magic, Thunder. Notice the similarities there?
Oklahoma City today announced it has extended its deal with general manager Sam Presti, the team announced today. That is the best move they made this off-season (and they’ve made a few nice ones). Terms of the deal were not announced.
Presti was a man with a plan. He took over in Seattle and moved away from Ray Allen and aging veterans to build a young team that could grow up together. He got some luck — the No. 2 pick being Kevin Durant — but has made smart picks and moves to fill out the roster around him. Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook could have been taken by other teams, but weren’t.
Presti gets it. And the OKC owners have given him room to do his thing. Smart.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 0
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement