Jul 22, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Don’t mention the word “punk.” Don’t throw around the word “thug” like it somehow excuses this. The NBA world (and the comment section of this blog) is perpetually hammered with unfair accusations about the histories of its players. There’s simply no excuse for making light of, or justifying the terror that Stephen Jackson’s family went through today.
The Charlotte forward’s home was robbed today, with his wife at home. Intruders got past the gated community where he lives and held his wife at gunpoint. They eventually locked her in a bathroom before escaping the premises. From WSOCTV 9 in Charlotte:
According to a police report, the men held her at gunpoint while they took valuables from the home, including several Louis Vuitton wallets, jewelry, a stun gun and a 9 millimeter handgun.
The suspects then locked her in a bathroom, police said.
Stephen Jackson, regardless of his past crimes or behavior, was a victim today. His wife was a victim, his family were victims. There’s no justification for what they’ve gone through today, though there will inevitably be reminders of Jackson’s history with gun possession and battery. The player called by Tim Duncan as “the ultimate teammate” will not receive the same benefit of compassion that another citizen would merit, and that’s the way the world is. It doesn’t make it any less unfortunate that he and his family had to go through this today.
We’ll keep you updated as the story develops.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3