Jul 21, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Reportedly, the folks at ESPN wanted LeBron James to hold off on his decision until the day of the ESPY’s, so that one ego-stroking event could lead into another. Fortunately for all of us, the realities of the marketplace made that impossible.
The ESPY’s had to settle for parody — Steve Carell’s decision to take his appetite to the Outback Steak House. When asked about how this would impact the people at Chili’s, Carell said, “We had a good run at Chili’s, and in a perfect world I would be eating at Chili’s constantly, but tonight there’s no rules, just right. Outback Steak House.”
The people at Chili’s have a sense of humor — they released a letter from the company president, in Comic Sans font to Carell, echoing the Dan Gilbert letter.
“I PERSONALY GUARANTEE THAT CHILI’S MENU ITEMS WILL BE BOLDER AND TASTIER THAN THOSE OF THE SELF-TITLED ‘STEAKHOUSE KING.'”
You can take that to the smoker.
Pretty clever little bit of promotion. And it’s good to see that the entire “decision” can now be mocked in the name of business promotion. We as a nation are moving on. And eating out.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 0
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 22
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36