Jul 21, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT
On June 17, Lamar Odom walked off the floor at Staples Center after Game 7 of the NBA finals. Tuesday was the first time he walked back on one.
After the first day of USA Basketball camp in Vegas, Odom admitted to FanHouse he has taken the last month off to enjoy life. And enjoying life does not mean spending a lot of time exercising.
“I’m in horrible shape,” Odom said after Team USA’s first day of training camp here Tuesday. “But I’ll get in shape … I took some time off (following the Lakers winning their second straight title). This is my first basketball activity. I boxed and some things like that. But this is the first time I ran up and down the court, and actually had a basketball in my hand.”
The thing is, international ball on a deep team like this will not be a test of endurance — the games are 40 minutes long and nobody will play more than 25 minutes a game.
Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski was not worried.
“Lamar said they had a long season,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s boxed. I asked if he got knocked out. He said he had not been knocked out. So that’s good. He already gained a couple of points for Turkey by saying he had not been knocked out.”
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 22
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 37
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 56
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12