Jul 21, 2010, 8:43 AM EST
On June 17, Lamar Odom walked off the floor at Staples Center after Game 7 of the NBA finals. Tuesday was the first time he walked back on one.
After the first day of USA Basketball camp in Vegas, Odom admitted to FanHouse he has taken the last month off to enjoy life. And enjoying life does not mean spending a lot of time exercising.
“I’m in horrible shape,” Odom said after Team USA’s first day of training camp here Tuesday. “But I’ll get in shape … I took some time off (following the Lakers winning their second straight title). This is my first basketball activity. I boxed and some things like that. But this is the first time I ran up and down the court, and actually had a basketball in my hand.”
The thing is, international ball on a deep team like this will not be a test of endurance — the games are 40 minutes long and nobody will play more than 25 minutes a game.
Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski was not worried.
“Lamar said they had a long season,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s boxed. I asked if he got knocked out. He said he had not been knocked out. So that’s good. He already gained a couple of points for Turkey by saying he had not been knocked out.”
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)