Jul 21, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT
On June 17, Lamar Odom walked off the floor at Staples Center after Game 7 of the NBA finals. Tuesday was the first time he walked back on one.
After the first day of USA Basketball camp in Vegas, Odom admitted to FanHouse he has taken the last month off to enjoy life. And enjoying life does not mean spending a lot of time exercising.
“I’m in horrible shape,” Odom said after Team USA’s first day of training camp here Tuesday. “But I’ll get in shape … I took some time off (following the Lakers winning their second straight title). This is my first basketball activity. I boxed and some things like that. But this is the first time I ran up and down the court, and actually had a basketball in my hand.”
The thing is, international ball on a deep team like this will not be a test of endurance — the games are 40 minutes long and nobody will play more than 25 minutes a game.
Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski was not worried.
“Lamar said they had a long season,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s boxed. I asked if he got knocked out. He said he had not been knocked out. So that’s good. He already gained a couple of points for Turkey by saying he had not been knocked out.”
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10