Jul 20, 2010, 10:17 PM EDT
Jeremy Lin has struck it rich in Las Vegas.
Lin, one of the stars of Vegas Summer League, is very close to a deal with the Golden State Warriors, according to both ESPN and the Contra Costa Times. Lin would be returning home with his deal, he is a Palo Alto native. He also would be the first player from Harvard in the NBA since 1954.
This is not a guaranteed deal — he can still be cut during training camp or at any time in the first few months of the season. How Golden State got him was guaranteeing a buyout of half of his nearly $500,000 first year salary if he is cut. The Dallas Mavericks (his Summer League team) and Los Angeles Lakers were also interested in Lin, but they offered smaller buyouts if he was cut (the minimum salary would have been the same anywhere). Also, the second year of Lin’s deal is a team option.
Lin might well make the Warriors, however. Stephen Curry is going to get the lion’s share of minutes at the point, and Monta Ellis will get some, but the Warriors just traded away last season’s backup C.J. Watson. They need a backup point now, and Lin is going to get the chance to get the job.
Lin won over Summer League fans in Vegas because he plays a fearless game. Nobody attacked the rim as hard as him, as relentlessly. His game is not fully NBA ready — got to improve his jumper, he’s got to finish at a higher rate near the rim. But he has a great feel for the game, makes smart passes and is the kind of guy that will change the mood of a practice because he will not coast. Coaches love players who maximize their talents, and Lin is one of those guys.
And it looks like he is going to make it.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1