Jul 20, 2010, 3:52 PM EST
Hey you. Yes, you. Want to play center for Team USA at the World Championships?
If another players drops out, your phone just night ring. Center Robin Lopez dropped out just at the start of camp so he could do private rehab on the back injury that kept him from being effective during the playoffs. He joins Amare Stoudemire as last second bailouts, in Amare’s case because the Knicks said they couldn’t get insurance for him (you can decide for yourself how hard they tried).
Chris Tomasson of FanHouse had it first and also talked to Robin’s brother Brook, who is by far the best center left on the roster.
“I think it’s just a precaution. His back is doing fine. Just precuationary.”’
So you’ll see Brook Lopez starting at the five for Team USA, with JaVale McGee and what’s left of Tyson Chandler’s knees as the backups. So, look for Team USA to use some small lineups with David Lee or Kevin Love at the five spot.
There are no players from the 2008 gold medal team in Beijing on the USA Basketball team headed to Turkey for the World Championships.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 11
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7