Members of Team USA continue to drop like flies, Amar'e Stoudemire now doubtful for World Championships
Jul 20, 2010, 11:26 AM EDT
When LeBron James decided he was too cool to play for Team USA this summer, it seemed inevitable that all the cool kids would follow suit. Though guys like Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony may have been leaders on their own clubs, during the summer all things go through LeBron.
Yet Team USA’s roster issues have become a bit more complicated. Not only will the team’s top players sit out the summer to recover from injury/deal with personal issues/do whatever it is they’d rather be doing, but Rajon Rondo won’t even return their phone calls and now Amar’e Stoudemire, one of the few stars actually committed to playing in the FIBA World Championships this year, may be a no-go.
Stoudemire underwent knee and eye surgeries while playing for the Phoenix Suns, but it was believed he was fully recovered from both conditions.
But the company that insures Knicks players’ contracts communicated its doubts, and it now appears Stoudemire will be unavailable for Team USA at the World Championship in Turkey in late August and early September.
Further details on Stoudemire’s status were expected to be disclosed Tuesday, when Team USA was scheduled to hold its first practice.
If Stoudemire isn’t available, the national team’s already slim crop at center becomes that much slimmer. Tyson Chandler and JaVale McGee were recent additions to the Team USA mini-camp, which should tell you just where the program is in regard to bigs. Vying for a spot as the team’s starting center will be Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, Kevin Love, and David Lee, and while all are fine NBA players, each has flaws that could easily be exposed in the international game.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4