Jul 20, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
Dell Demps has emerged as the hottest general manager candidate out there right now.
A lot of you just muttered out loud, “who?” Trust us, you want Demps on your team. He is the number two man in the San Antonio Spurs organization (and general manager of their D-League affiliate), a guy coming out of an organization that wins and is a guy who just gets things done.
Which is why is battle for his services — a bidding war like over a free agent player — between Phoenix and New Orleans, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Demps was in Phoenix negotiating with Robert Sarver, the Suns owner. The Suns Tuesday will announce Lon Babby as the President of Basketball operations and Demps would be his general manager.
The Suns are trying to keep Demps in town until they can come to an agreement with him, sources said. Still, Demps is intrigued with the Hornets GM job because he’ll have more autonomy as the top basketball executive. Demps would work with the Hornets’ new coach and a close friend, Monty Williams, to remake the team. With the Suns, Demps would be a clear No. 2 to Babby, a longtime player agent who is making the transition to team management.
Look for one of these two to sign Demps by later in the week.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 2
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 32
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 23
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12