Jul 20, 2010, 3:17 PM EST
Dell Demps has emerged as the hottest general manager candidate out there right now.
A lot of you just muttered out loud, “who?” Trust us, you want Demps on your team. He is the number two man in the San Antonio Spurs organization (and general manager of their D-League affiliate), a guy coming out of an organization that wins and is a guy who just gets things done.
Which is why is battle for his services — a bidding war like over a free agent player — between Phoenix and New Orleans, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Demps was in Phoenix negotiating with Robert Sarver, the Suns owner. The Suns Tuesday will announce Lon Babby as the President of Basketball operations and Demps would be his general manager.
The Suns are trying to keep Demps in town until they can come to an agreement with him, sources said. Still, Demps is intrigued with the Hornets GM job because he’ll have more autonomy as the top basketball executive. Demps would work with the Hornets’ new coach and a close friend, Monty Williams, to remake the team. With the Suns, Demps would be a clear No. 2 to Babby, a longtime player agent who is making the transition to team management.
Look for one of these two to sign Demps by later in the week.
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 1
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 17
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 9
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)