Jul 20, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
David Lee isn’t even a Knick anymore and he is still the best representative of that organization. Which says plenty.
A story in the New York Times explains how Lee was the only Knick — or former Knick, in this case — to attend the funeral for Scott Jaffer, a longtime N.B.A. security official who worked at Madison Square Garden. Jaffer dealt with security issues around the Knicks.
No representative of the Knicks ownership or front office. No other players. Plenty of people were in Las Vegas at the time for Summer League, but nobody could make it. Just Lee, sitting quietly in the back, having come without being asked.
That’s the kind of guy the Warriors are getting.
The Knicks needed to make a splash. Amare Stoudemire is an explosive and flashy player. Lee is not flashy. But Lee was a guy who played his old-school game hard and represented the organization well. He cared about its history. He did the little things on and off the court.
But that was not the future. Well, it’s not the future in New York, it is in Golden State. And they are going to like it in the Bay Area.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?