Jul 20, 2010, 9:55 AM EST
Brandon Bass has a lot of skills as a power forward. Just not ones that fit what Orlando wants to do.
Bass is a banger inside, an in-the-paint guy. Orlando uses Dwight Howard for that. They need fours who can stretch the floor, like Rashard Lewis. So while Bass kept doing the things he does the way he does them last season, his minutes dropped to 13 a game, that in the 50 games he got in.
Bass told FanHouse this year he wants to play. He’d like that to be in Orlando, but he wants to see the court more than stay with the Magic.
“I think they’ll do the right thing, whatever is the right thing — either play me next season or send me somewhere else. That’s what I’m hoping,” Bass told FanHouse earlier this week following the Summer Groove charity game in Miami. “I won’t go through what I did last season.”
“I’m one of the hardest working guys on the team, so hopefully I’ll have a bigger role next season,” Bass said. “Right now, I’m just working on my game, trying to get better. I don’t worry about things like trades. I won’t go through again what I did last season.”
Dwight Howard is the man inside in Orlando, as it should be. You need a backup inside presence, too. But the Magic got that in Martin Gortat, the backup center to Howard. That leaves Bass on the outside looking in,
The Magic looked at trading Bass this summer, but didn’t find a deal they liked. If Matt Barnes leaves, they may be able to use him to find a perimeter defender they like.
Or, they could just play him.
But the bigger question becomes, if he didn’t fit the system, why sign him in the first place? He’s a good player, but you have to consider fit.
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 1
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 17
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 9
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)