Jul 20, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Brandon Bass has a lot of skills as a power forward. Just not ones that fit what Orlando wants to do.
Bass is a banger inside, an in-the-paint guy. Orlando uses Dwight Howard for that. They need fours who can stretch the floor, like Rashard Lewis. So while Bass kept doing the things he does the way he does them last season, his minutes dropped to 13 a game, that in the 50 games he got in.
Bass told FanHouse this year he wants to play. He’d like that to be in Orlando, but he wants to see the court more than stay with the Magic.
“I think they’ll do the right thing, whatever is the right thing — either play me next season or send me somewhere else. That’s what I’m hoping,” Bass told FanHouse earlier this week following the Summer Groove charity game in Miami. “I won’t go through what I did last season.”
“I’m one of the hardest working guys on the team, so hopefully I’ll have a bigger role next season,” Bass said. “Right now, I’m just working on my game, trying to get better. I don’t worry about things like trades. I won’t go through again what I did last season.”
Dwight Howard is the man inside in Orlando, as it should be. You need a backup inside presence, too. But the Magic got that in Martin Gortat, the backup center to Howard. That leaves Bass on the outside looking in,
The Magic looked at trading Bass this summer, but didn’t find a deal they liked. If Matt Barnes leaves, they may be able to use him to find a perimeter defender they like.
Or, they could just play him.
But the bigger question becomes, if he didn’t fit the system, why sign him in the first place? He’s a good player, but you have to consider fit.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 8
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 9
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay