Jul 20, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Brandon Bass has a lot of skills as a power forward. Just not ones that fit what Orlando wants to do.
Bass is a banger inside, an in-the-paint guy. Orlando uses Dwight Howard for that. They need fours who can stretch the floor, like Rashard Lewis. So while Bass kept doing the things he does the way he does them last season, his minutes dropped to 13 a game, that in the 50 games he got in.
Bass told FanHouse this year he wants to play. He’d like that to be in Orlando, but he wants to see the court more than stay with the Magic.
“I think they’ll do the right thing, whatever is the right thing — either play me next season or send me somewhere else. That’s what I’m hoping,” Bass told FanHouse earlier this week following the Summer Groove charity game in Miami. “I won’t go through what I did last season.”
“I’m one of the hardest working guys on the team, so hopefully I’ll have a bigger role next season,” Bass said. “Right now, I’m just working on my game, trying to get better. I don’t worry about things like trades. I won’t go through again what I did last season.”
Dwight Howard is the man inside in Orlando, as it should be. You need a backup inside presence, too. But the Magic got that in Martin Gortat, the backup center to Howard. That leaves Bass on the outside looking in,
The Magic looked at trading Bass this summer, but didn’t find a deal they liked. If Matt Barnes leaves, they may be able to use him to find a perimeter defender they like.
Or, they could just play him.
But the bigger question becomes, if he didn’t fit the system, why sign him in the first place? He’s a good player, but you have to consider fit.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8